RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Luma technical discussion

dchay

schoondoggy

As I said in the other thread, IMHO any wifi system that uses wifi as the backhaul is fatally flawed from the outset.  Don't waste your money on these things.

It is certainly a performance limiting factor, but then again members of this forum are not Luma or Eero target customers.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• dchay

• Dave

• schoondoggy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys,   First off, I really enjoyed reading through the previous thread that way just locked. It was informative and your courtesy to one another is not like any online forum I've seen before. S

The R8000 is a great router and the hardware is pretty comparable to both eero and Luma. I run an R7000 with DD-WRT and I love it.   I can tell you that in the first few weeks of release, eero had a

As I said in the other thread, IMHO any wifi system that uses wifi as the backhaul is fatally flawed from the outset.  Don't waste your money on these things.

...even Dave has pre-ordered Luma so that may tell you something about Eero and how well it works. 

Don't want to speak for Dave here but I believe his pre-order is merely out of curiosity and for testing purposes, not a reflection of his thoughts on eero. As far as I know, Dave is actually extremely happy with eero running them in bridge mode. If you can get eero at a significant discount, I would not deter them away from that. I'm actually considering picking up another 3-pack myself.

• Like 1
itGeeks

Don't want to speak for Dave here but I believe his pre-order is merely out of curiosity and for testing purposes, not a reflection of his thoughts on eero. As far as I know, Dave is actually extremely happy with eero running them in bridge mode. If you can get eero at a significant discount, I would not deter them away from that. I'm actually considering picking up another 3-pack myself.

I see now that I should not of worded this the way I did, Sometimes there is a disconnect from what I am trying to say vs what comes out. I by know means was trying to talk for Dave even though that was the way it came out. Thanks for clearing this up for everyone :)

Edited by itGeeks

I'm in a (sort of) similar boat and curious how this goes. I've got 2 sets of Lumas right now (one "sympathy" shipment from Luma and another from best buy) and I'm trying to choose between Eero and luma. I asked them about parental features as well as setting up my IP cams without the port forwarding feature. Here is their reply:

Thank you for contacting Luma Support! The content filtering is available right now but the ability to view isn't available, we're working to have the live view available ASAP but don't have an ETA just yet. So at this point you would still be able to filter access by rating and wouldn't necessarily need to use another product like Circle for parental control.

Port Forwarding is a priority update and we have an ETA the week of July 26th. If needed you could leave your current setup as is and add Luma to your existing router, this would create another network for devices you want on the Luma. That way you can have your IP cameras running on your current setup as well. I hope this helps and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask, we're always happy to help.

Have a great day,

Gary

~Luma Support

For me, I'm also thinking about setting luma up behind my Netgear router and they seem to be saying that would work fine.

I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow. I just got my Eero set up this weekend and starting over again is a bit of a pain--but I'm sure it will be great!

I'm in a (sort of) similar boat and curious how this goes. I've got 2 sets of Lumas right now (one "sympathy" shipment from Luma and another from best buy) and I'm trying to choose between Eero and luma. I asked them about parental features as well as setting up my IP cams without the port forwarding feature. Here is their reply:

Thank you for contacting Luma Support! The content filtering is available right now but the ability to view isn't available, we're working to have the live view available ASAP but don't have an ETA just yet. So at this point you would still be able to filter access by rating and wouldn't necessarily need to use another product like Circle for parental control.

Port Forwarding is a priority update and we have an ETA the week of July 26th. If needed you could leave your current setup as is and add Luma to your existing router, this would create another network for devices you want on the Luma. That way you can have your IP cameras running on your current setup as well. I hope this helps and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask, we're always happy to help.

Have a great day,

Gary

~Luma Support

For me, I'm also thinking about setting luma up behind my Netgear router and they seem to be saying that would work fine.

I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow. I just got my Eero set up this weekend and starting over again is a bit of a pain--but I'm sure it will be great!

I think that was a great reply from their tech support considering some of the answers we have seen already. It all made sense and will work very well.  The double NAT is technically not a good thing to have but it does work.  It was nice to see they had a date for the port forwarding so let's see if it arrives around that date.  That is an estimated date too so keep that in mind.

DMZ setting as CSK mentioned works too.  My router was being fussy about the DMZ setup and I have not tried it again since the first attempt.

This may be the first positive feeling I've had about Luma yet!  

• Like 1

Jose can speak for me.  ;)  Nailed it.

Just a reminder in case any of you have not been following me for a while.  I spoke with Luma a CES 2016 and was able to get hands on with the product.  They showed me the app that was extremely alpha.  In fact, it may have been a mockup slideshow for all I know. 

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AiBi0ZKn_IuTiYdgrCftOf-AHPQKng

Here is what they showed.  That doesn't mean it will get there 100% but I want to show you at least what they had in mind back in January 2016.

cskenney

I split off a bunch of discussion about putting a Luma (or Eero) behind an ISP issued router.  You can find that discussion here.  http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11344-double-router-configuation-questions/

It seemed like the fundamental issue was trying to avoid a double NAT.  I don't think this is unique to Luma (although some solutions don't work because there are features that aren't yet released).

Just a reminder in case any of you have not been following me for a while.  I spoke with Luma a CES 2016 and was able to get hands on with the product.  They showed me the app that was extremely alpha.  In fact, it may have been a mockup slideshow for all I know. 

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AiBi0ZKn_IuTiYdgrCftOf-AHPQKng

Here is what they showed.  That doesn't mean it will get there 100% but I want to show you at least what they had in mind back in January 2016.

The current shipping app is different.. has none of those settings in your picture. About the only thing that's same is the "control" button at the bottom of the screen, that plus the fact that there are "WiFi", "Filtering" and "Security" buttons (different icons though).

Yes. We all know that. I just wanted you to see what they more than likely have in the pipeline.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk