RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Luma technical discussion

dchay

To be fair, I'm probably dragging you too far into a specialized tech support situation so I understand if that's problematic.

On the Luma side, you should check their Facebook page because a lot of pre order customers are upset with their shipping update that just went out. In my case, I ordered Jan 3 and war told I would not receive my 3 pack until the beginning of August. Making matters worse, anyone who ordered a colored device was told they will only be providing white units. Needless to say, people are pretty upset. Making it more interesting, Eero is offering codes for $200 off for those who show proof of ordering a Luma 3-pack. A bunch of folks claim to be cancelling with Luma and jumping ship.

Pretty entertaining to read about but pretty frustrating, too, for those who have been waiting.

Back to me.... :-D

My router is a Netgear R8000 (your link is right) and the firmware is the latest. Other than the IP cams (wireless) and the Diskstation (wired), I think that's it for my port forwarding setup. I've got a wired Smarthings connection and some home media devices (TV, Xbox, DVD, etc.) and the rest is all wifi (tablets, laptops, phones, thermostat, etc.).

I don't want to muddy up this thread so let me know if I should continue it in a better spot. Otherwise, if I end up going with Eero I'll look for that forum, too.

Thanks!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• dchay

• Dave

• schoondoggy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys,   First off, I really enjoyed reading through the previous thread that way just locked. It was informative and your courtesy to one another is not like any online forum I've seen before. S

The R8000 is a great router and the hardware is pretty comparable to both eero and Luma. I run an R7000 with DD-WRT and I love it.   I can tell you that in the first few weeks of release, eero had a

As I said in the other thread, IMHO any wifi system that uses wifi as the backhaul is fatally flawed from the outset.  Don't waste your money on these things.

To be fair, I'm probably dragging you too far into a specialized tech support situation so I understand if that's problematic.

On the Luma side, you should check their Facebook page because a lot of pre order customers are upset with their shipping update that just went out. In my case, I ordered Jan 3 and war told I would not receive my 3 pack until the beginning of August. Making matters worse, anyone who ordered a colored device was told they will only be providing white units. Needless to say, people are pretty upset. Making it more interesting, Eero is offering codes for $200 off for those who show proof of ordering a Luma 3-pack. A bunch of folks claim to be cancelling with Luma and jumping ship.

Pretty entertaining to read about but pretty frustrating, too, for those who have been waiting.

My router is a Netgear R8000 (your link is right) and the firmware is the latest. Other than the IP cams (wireless) and the Diskstation (wired), I think that's it for my port forwarding setup. I've got a wired Smarthings connection and some home media devices (TV, Xbox, DVD, etc.) and the rest is all wifi (tablets, laptops, phones, thermostat, etc.).

I don't want to muddy up this thread so let me know if I should continue it in a better spot. Otherwise, if I end up going with Eero I'll look for that forum, too.

Thanks!

The R8000 is a great router and the hardware is pretty comparable to both eero and Luma. I run an R7000 with DD-WRT and I love it.

I can tell you that in the first few weeks of release, eero had a lot of UPnP issues and no port forwarding available and many people were reporting issues with IP cameras as well as gaming. However, with a couple of updates, they were able to rectify those issues.

My guess is Luma will have a lot of early struggles as well, and it really depends on whether or not you want to be part of the group that has to work through those early struggles. Any configuration advice that I, or anyone else here who have not actually received their Lumas, give you will simply be hearsay. If you can hang tight for another six weeks or so (based on the delivery dates we're seeing), I think we'll all be in a much better position to provide feedback on what may or may not work with Luma. 

• Like 1
itGeeks

Thanks!

No worries, Your not dragging me to far into anything and I am fine talking this throw with you. I think the simplest way for you to set this up for now would be to keep your Netgear 1st inline connected to your modem and connect all your wired devices to the Netgear as it is now then create a DMZ off the Netgear and connect Luma to the DMZ, This will allow Luma free rains to the internet and provide your wireless. It seems to me that your consumption devices are all wireless and that's where you would need good wireless coverage & protection. This is the easiest configuration and to be honest probably the only thing we can do at this point till Luma supports port forwarding & bridge mode.

If your Netgear is having connectivity trouble I think I would still factory reset it and start over if you never did this after any firmware updates. In general the miner updates don't normally create any problems but major updates I have seen cause trouble if a factory reset was not done. Just food for thought. O ya if you decide to setup Luma that way I outlined then don't forget to turn off wireless on Netgear ;)

itGeeks

The R8000 is a great router and the hardware is pretty comparable to both eero and Luma. I run an R7000 with DD-WRT and I love it.

I can tell you that in the first few weeks of release, eero had a lot of UPnP issues and no port forwarding available and many people were reporting issues with IP cameras as well as gaming. However, with a couple of updates, they were able to rectify those issues.

My guess is Luma will have a lot of early struggles as well, and it really depends on whether or not you want to be part of the group that has to work through those early struggles. Any configuration advice that I, or anyone else here who have not actually received their Lumas, give you will simply be hearsay. If you can hang tight for another six weeks or so (based on the delivery dates we're seeing), I think we'll all be in a much better position to provide feedback on what may or may not work with Luma. 

Agreed. There maybe one good thing that comes from the delay in shipping, Luma could have more things fixed and performance tuning could be done making Luma better then it maybe now :) Yes I know but I am trying to look at the glass as half full rather then half empty ;)

Edited by itGeeks
schoondoggy

I hope you hear otherwise but here is the email I received from tech support:

(Luma)

Jun 26, 2:16 PM EDT

Hey Don,

Unfortunately out of the box Port forwarding is not feature that is available at this time, but we are working towards building to that future. Sadly I do not have an ETA from our engineers.

Luma Support

My hope is that forwarding will be added in ASAP but with the miscommunication on shipping I'm very nervous about being on that feature in the near term. I'd love to be wrong, though.

What drew me to Luma was the mesh technology of boosting my wifi but especially the parental/filtering features. I have 4 children and bring able to see and influence their activity was the primary reason of choosing Luma.

I like Circle but it doesn't boost my wifi. I like Eero (closest competitor) but it lacks the insight into what is being viewed on my network. In other words, compared to Eero Luma brings more "big brother" features which I actually like.

My current router is a Netgear Nighthawk X6. It is fine most of the time but it's dropping signals more and more and requiring more restarts. I'm using opendns with it for parental features but I want more features than what it can provide.

Thanks again for letting me jump in the mix with you guys.

Don

The verdict is in and its not good, It seems you are correct port forwarding in not in this 1st release with no ETA on when it will be. I went on to ask about bridge mode and the very fast response was yes but threw asking a series of questions Luma can't run in the traditional bridge mode, It will still create another network and provide routing/dhcp services for that network they did say however that selecting bridge mode at setup is in the works but no ETA. So the short of it is we will need to run two routers on our networks if we need port forwarding and want to use Luma for all the promised goodness, Now armed with all this bad news I am rethinking what I want to do. I guess one way would be anything that needs port forwarding could be put on a separate network called router 1 with all other devices on Luma, I know this could be messy. What do others think?

When each of you contacted Luma to check on port forwarding did you explain why you need it? I would be curious to see what their response is if you asked: 

'I have IP cameras, I use port forwarding on my current router to communicate with them. I understand that Luma does not currently support port forwarding. How would you recommend that I configure my IP cameras with Luma?'

I assume you would get a similar answer to the one you got, but it may make them think about ways they could handle this issue.

itGeeks

When each of you contacted Luma to check on port forwarding did you explain why you need it? I would be curious to see what their response is if you asked: 

'I have IP cameras, I use port forwarding on my current router to communicate with them. I understand that Luma does not currently support port forwarding. How would you recommend that I configure my IP cameras with Luma?'

I assume you would get a similar answer to the one you got, but it may make them think about ways they could handle this issue.

I did not and I felt there was no reason to because based on there answer of it will come with no ETA they know there is a need for it and bridge mode. The reason for the delay according to Luma though its disappointing for those of us that need it now though it makes sense is they want to get the base Luma rock solid before adding new features. We do have to applaud them for that, Growing pains with a brand new product for sure.

HellDiverUK

As I said in the other thread, IMHO any wifi system that uses wifi as the backhaul is fatally flawed from the outset.  Don't waste your money on these things.

• Like 1

I wrote customer support last night to voice my disappointment with how the launch has gone.  Their reply was polite but heavy on the "these things happen with new launches" approach.  I was equally kind as I offered my feedback that there is a big difference between shipping dates changing due to launch issues and substantive areas being (what appears to be) covered up--availability of colors, shipping dates, lack of port forwarding, etc.  I told them that I'm not bitter but want them to know that instead of simply being perceived as inflexible I'm concerned with how they've handled this and it makes me less likely to continue trusting them as they ask me to please wait and not cancel my order.

At the end of my polite "rant" I asked the question you suggested above about how they recommend I handle some of my devices that require port forwarding (ip cams, synology, etc.)  I'll let you know if they reply with a solution.

In the meantime, I ordered an Eero with the $200 discount code they gave me and I also pre-ordered a 3-pack Luma from Best Buy to see which gets to me first.  My Eero is already in the mail.  Regarding Best Buy, I've done pre-orders with them in the past and something tells me their "delivery date" is going to fall through for most people, too.  We'll see.

• Like 1
itGeeks

As I said in my reply in the other post Ethernet backhaul is alive and working in the shipping Luma units according to Luma. So WiFi mesh is not the only option, That said WiFi mesh has its place when there is no option to get a wire to the aria needing WiFi. This is better then no WiFi at all.

Edited by itGeeks
itGeeks

I wrote customer support last night to voice my disappointment with how the launch has gone.  Their reply was polite but heavy on the "these things happen with new launches" approach.  I was equally kind as I offered my feedback that there is a big difference between shipping dates changing due to launch issues and substantive areas being (what appears to be) covered up--availability of colors, shipping dates, lack of port forwarding, etc.  I told them that I'm not bitter but want them to know that instead of simply being perceived as inflexible I'm concerned with how they've handled this and it makes me less likely to continue trusting them as they ask me to please wait and not cancel my order.

At the end of my polite "rant" I asked the question you suggested above about how they recommend I handle some of my devices that require port forwarding (ip cams, synology, etc.)  I'll let you know if they reply with a solution.

In the meantime, I ordered an Eero with the $200 discount code they gave me and I also pre-ordered a 3-pack Luma from Best Buy to see which gets to me first.  My Eero is already in the mail.  Regarding Best Buy, I've done pre-orders with them in the past and something tells me their "delivery date" is going to fall through for most people, too.  We'll see.

Thanks for sharing the info. I have some great news regarding port forwarding that I posted in another thread, Please see this link for my post #8 http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11313-alternatives-to-luma-or-eero/#entry117755 I will also say that Eero should of shipped you quick as they are GA already and as for the discount they are doing everything they can to gain market share before a major competitor gets GA Luma, Luma is going to be some tough competition for them. I have not tried Eero but others here have such as HSS-Dave the owner of this forum and even Dave has pre-ordered Luma so that may tell you something about Eero and how well it works. What I would say to you is try and slow down and wait for Luma to get shipped and go from there. After all there is a 14 day return policy if you ordered from Luma & probably a 30 day policy if you ordered from Amazon or Best Buy. I still feel strongly that Luma will turn out to be the winner even after all the disappointments and that's a strong statement & I am sure that many of you will remind me how wrong I was if I am not correct.

Edited by itGeeks