RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Luma technical discussion

dchay

Hi guys,

First off, I really enjoyed reading through the previous thread that way just locked. It was informative and your courtesy to one another is not like any online forum I've seen before. Seriously, it was a pleasure to read.

On to my question, I pre ordered Luma back in Nov and have yet to hear anything other then "1-2 weeks" for the past month and a half. Today, though, while chatting with their support I was told that Luma will NOT support port forwarding out of the box and that their engineers do not have a timeline for when this will be in place.

I'm nervous about that absence because I'm currently using it for my IP cameras (remote access) and for my Synology disk station. You guys are far above me in your networking skills and I'd love to hear your thoughts on whether I'm stuck or if there are better options I should be using instead of port forwarding. Am I missing something?

I'm toying with jumping to Eero for this reason so your input would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Don

• Like 2
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• dchay

• schoondoggy

• Dave

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys,   First off, I really enjoyed reading through the previous thread that way just locked. It was informative and your courtesy to one another is not like any online forum I've seen before. S

The R8000 is a great router and the hardware is pretty comparable to both eero and Luma. I run an R7000 with DD-WRT and I love it.   I can tell you that in the first few weeks of release, eero had a

As I said in the other thread, IMHO any wifi system that uses wifi as the backhaul is fatally flawed from the outset.  Don't waste your money on these things.

itGeeks

Hi guys,

First off, I really enjoyed reading through the previous thread that way just locked. It was informative and your courtesy to one another is not like any online forum I've seen before. Seriously, it was a pleasure to read.

On to my question, I pre ordered Luma back in Nov and have yet to hear anything other then "1-2 weeks" for the past month and a half. Today, though, while chatting with their support I was told that Luma will NOT support port forwarding out of the box and that their engineers do not have a timeline for when this will be in place.

I'm nervous about that absence because I'm currently using it for my IP cameras (remote access) and for my Synology disk station. You guys are far above me in your networking skills and I'd love to hear your thoughts on whether I'm stuck or if there are better options I should be using instead of port forwarding. Am I missing something?

I'm toying with jumping to Eero for this reason so your input would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Don

Welcome to the forums!

Glad you enjoyed the thread on Luma. Yes this is a very respectful community with many years of combined knowledge, I guess you could say its a one of a kind community that HSS-Dave has built over the years and I am very proud to be a part of it.

Wow your news is certainly mind blowing, I had not heard this before, If the lack of port forwarding is true this will be a show stopper for many of us. I am going to try and validate your claim later today. OK so where does that leave us if the lack of port forwarding is missing? We have a few options one of witch I am still not sure if its possible. We can use our existing router and try and use Luma in "bridge mode" and see if the virus/malware and filters work, The way you would set this up is connect the LAN port of Luma to a LAN port on your router. In this configuration your router would still handle all the routing and Luma would handle everything else, I can't say for sure if Luma will work in "bridge mode" because I can't test it till I get my Luma's. Last time I contacted Luma support they said Luma will not work in "bridge mode" However when HSS-Dave interviewed Co Founder Dr. Paul Judge he said we could run Luma in "bridge mode" but he also said there is an advanced menu where we could setup port forwarding and tweak other setting so I don't know what to expect at this point, Its very frustrating to say the least. The interview if your interested in listing is here http://homeservershow.com/interview-with-dr-paul-judge-cofounder-of-luma.html

Another option would be to look elsewhere such as Eero but there are differences you have to consider, You could try a search Luma vs Eero. Another option would be to use your existing router and use Open-Mesh for your WiFi and pair that with Circle if you need parental controls http://www.disneystore.com/circle-with-disney/mn/1026902/

It will all come down to what problems your trying to solve as to the solution to fix it.

Q) What kind of router are you using now and whats wrong with it?

Q) What problems are you trying to solve that your current system is not handling to your satisfaction?

Edited by itGeeks

Wow your news is certainly mind blowing, I had not heard this before, If the lack of port forwarding is true this will be a show stopper for many of us. I am going to try and validate your claim later today. OK so where does that leave us if the lack of port forwarding is missing? We have a few options one of witch I am still not sure if its possible. We can use our existing router and try and use Luma in "bridge mode" and see if the virus/malware and filters work, The way you would set this up is connect the LAN port of Luma to a LAN port on your router. In this configuration your router would still handle all the routing and Luma would handle everything else, I can't say for sure if Luma will work in "bridge mode" because I can't test it till I get my Luma's. Last time I contacted Luma support they said Luma will not work in "bridge mode" However when HSS-Dave interviewed Co Founder Dr. Paul Judge he said we could run Luma in "bridge mode" but he also said there is an advanced menu where we could setup port forwarding and tweak other setting so I don't know what to expect at this point, Its very frustrating to say the least. The interview if your interested in listing is here http://homeservershow.com/interview-with-dr-paul-judge-cofounder-of-luma.html

Another option would be to look elsewhere such as Eero but there are differences you have to consider, You could try a search Luma vs Eero. Another option would be to use your existing router and use Open-Mesh for your WiFi and pair that with Circle if you need parental controls http://www.disneystore.com/circle-with-disney/mn/1026902/

It will all come down to what problems your trying to solve as to the solution to fix it.

Q) What kind of router are you using now and whats wrong with it?

Q) What problems are you trying to solve that your current system is not handling to your satisfaction?

I hope you hear otherwise but here is the email I received from tech support:

(Luma)

Jun 26, 2:16 PM EDT

Hey Don,

Unfortunately out of the box Port forwarding is not feature that is available at this time, but we are working towards building to that future. Sadly I do not have an ETA from our engineers.

Luma Support

My hope is that forwarding will be added in ASAP but with the miscommunication on shipping I'm very nervous about being on that feature in the near term. I'd love to be wrong, though.

What drew me to Luma was the mesh technology of boosting my wifi but especially the parental/filtering features. I have 4 children and bring able to see and influence their activity was the primary reason of choosing Luma.

I like Circle but it doesn't boost my wifi. I like Eero (closest competitor) but it lacks the insight into what is being viewed on my network. In other words, compared to Eero Luma brings more "big brother" features which I actually like.

My current router is a Netgear Nighthawk X6. It is fine most of the time but it's dropping signals more and more and requiring more restarts. I'm using opendns with it for parental features but I want more features than what it can provide.

Thanks again for letting me jump in the mix with you guys.

Don

itGeeks

I hope you hear otherwise but here is the email I received from tech support:

(Luma)

Jun 26, 2:16 PM EDT

Hey Don,

Unfortunately out of the box Port forwarding is not feature that is available at this time, but we are working towards building to that future. Sadly I do not have an ETA from our engineers.

Luma Support

My hope is that forwarding will be added in ASAP but with the miscommunication on shipping I'm very nervous about being on that feature in the near term. I'd love to be wrong, though.

What drew me to Luma was the mesh technology of boosting my wifi but especially the parental/filtering features. I have 4 children and bring able to see and influence their activity was the primary reason of choosing Luma.

I like Circle but it doesn't boost my wifi. I like Eero (closest competitor) but it lacks the insight into what is being viewed on my network. In other words, compared to Eero Luma brings more "big brother" features which I actually like.

My current router is a Netgear Nighthawk X6. It is fine most of the time but it's dropping signals more and more and requiring more restarts. I'm using opendns with it for parental features but I want more features than what it can provide.

Thanks again for letting me jump in the mix with you guys.

Don

The verdict is in and its not good, It seems you are correct port forwarding in not in this 1st release with no ETA on when it will be. I went on to ask about bridge mode and the very fast response was yes but threw asking a series of questions Luma can't run in the traditional bridge mode, It will still create another network and provide routing/dhcp services for that network they did say however that selecting bridge mode at setup is in the works but no ETA. So the short of it is we will need to run two routers on our networks if we need port forwarding and want to use Luma for all the promised goodness, Now armed with all this bad news I am rethinking what I want to do. I guess one way would be anything that needs port forwarding could be put on a separate network called router 1 with all other devices on Luma, I know this could be messy. What do others think?

Edited by itGeeks

The verdict is in and its not good, It seems you are correct port forwarding in not in this 1st release with no ETA on when it will be. I went on to ask about bridge mode and the very fast response was yes but threw asking a series of questions Luma can't run in the traditional bridge mode, It will still create another network and provide routing/dhcp services for that network they did say however that selecting bridge mode at setup is in the works but no ETA. So the short of it is we will need to run two routers on our networks if we need port forwarding and want to use Luma for all the promised goodness, Now armed with all this bad news I am rethinking what I want to do. I guess one way would be anything that needs port forwarding could be put on a separate network called router 1 with all other devices on Luma, I know this could be messy. What do others think?

I'm glad the messaging is consistent but I'm bummed with the answer.  Thank you for confirming.

So in my case, are you saying I would run my setup as modem-->Luma (bridge mode)-->Netgear router or woudl I switch the two routers around?  I prefer option one since my current router is getting less reliable and running the luma off of it seems to defeat the purpose.  Irregardless, is it your suggestion that I run the ip cams and diskstation off their current signal from the netgear and set up a new wireless broadcast for everything else off the Lumas?

Unless others have different ideas.....

itGeeks

I'm glad the messaging is consistent but I'm bummed with the answer.  Thank you for confirming.

So in my case, are you saying I would run my setup as modem-->Luma (bridge mode)-->Netgear router or woudl I switch the two routers around?  I prefer option one since my current router is getting less reliable and running the luma off of it seems to defeat the purpose.  Irregardless, is it your suggestion that I run the ip cams and diskstation off their current signal from the netgear and set up a new wireless broadcast for everything else off the Lumas?

Unless others have different ideas.....

Yes I think a lot of us that pre-ordered are bummed with there answer. Before I continue with you I need you to understand I have not tested Luma in any other setup/configuration to see if it will work so take the different configuration options that I give you as untested with Luma so it maybe a bit of trial and error to see what works and what does not. As long as you understand that then lets continue forward with possible configuration options that we can all test when we get Luma to see what works and what does not. I have some more questions for you, Please see below-

Q1) Hew is your ISP and what equipment did they provide you to use with there service? Make & model please.

Q2) What is the speed of the internet you get from your ISP? Both up & down please

Q3) Are there any other wired devices other then what needs port forwarding on your network and if yes how many?

Q4) Is the firmware up to date on your Netgear router?

Q5) What is the age of your Netgear router?

Please provide a link to the exact Netgear router you have, When I search Negear X6 I get multiple options. I want to take a look at what configuration options we have with that router.

Is this it? http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R8000.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Edited by itGeeks
itGeeks

Yes I think a lot of us that pre-ordered are bummed with there answer. Before I continue with you I need you to understand I have not tested Luma in any other setup/configuration to see if it will work so take the different configuration options that I give you as untested with Luma so it maybe a bit of trial and error to see what works and what does not. As long as you understand that then lets continue forward with possible configuration options that we can all test when we get Luma to see what works and what does not. I have some more questions for you, Please see below-

Q1) Hew is your ISP and what equipment did they provide you to use with there service? Make & model please.

Q2) What is the speed of the internet you get from your ISP? Both up & down please

Q3) Are there any other wired devices other then what needs port forwarding on your network and if yes how many?

Q4) Is the firmware up to date on your Netgear router?

Q5) What is the age of your Netgear router?

Please provide a link to the exact Netgear router you have, When I search Negear X6 I get multiple options. I want to take a look at what configuration options we have with that router.

Is this it? http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R8000.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Regarding my Q4 if you never looked to see if there is a newer firmware update or its been a while since you last checked then go to the support section of Netgear and see if there is a newer firmware then you have and if there is I would highly recommend you download it then document your custom settings on the router including all your port forwarding rules then install the updated firmware and wait for the router to come back online then if the installer did not force a factory reset of the router as part of the update then do a factory reset and wait for the router to come back online then unplug the router wait 30 seconds and power it back on then setup your custom configuration again including all your port forwarding rules, You will be amazed at what problems get fixed by following the steps I provided here. Yes its a pain in the a?? but the benefit in most cases is well worth it.

itGeeks

Lets use this thread for technical chat around Luma

You know Kevin there is so many threads on Luma that I don't know where to post what anymore, One thread starts out one way then drifts off to OK now what with a post of what to do next and the next thing you know its off topic, I am getting confused with all this. Prim example on the Luma reviews topic that you created I am now have a talk with a new forum member based on his findings that Luma will not support port forwarding on release what to do next so that talk is out of bounds with what post was setup 4. So how and when do we start a new thread to carry on a conversation that was started in one post and carry that to another post so we don't violate or derail the topic at hand?

Edited by itGeeks
cskenney

You know Kevin there is so many threads on Luma that I don't know where to post what anymore, One thread starts out one way then drifts off to OK now what with a post of what to do next and the next thing you know its off topic, I am getting confused with all this. Prim example on the Luma reviews topic that you created I am now have a talk with a new forum member based on his findings that Luma will not support port forwarding on release what to do next so that talk is out of bounds with what post was setup 4. So how and when do we start a new thread to carry on a conversation that was started in one post and carry that to another post so we don't violate or derail the topic at hand?

Perfect example of a topic that went off track.  I moved that conversation into this topic since port forwarding and configuring Luma beyond the basic configuration would seem to be technical in nature.