RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Luma Reviews

schoondoggy

Was it you who said Luma didn't even have a firewall?  I thought someone did.  eero does.  Just add Circle with Disney for $99 if you have kids.  Its much more detailed than what I understand you may be getting from Luma at the moment.  

Yes it was me though it turns out what I should of said was Luma does not have a "STEALTH" firewall and from my understanding neither does Eero but they both have some sort of basic firewall. Its a bit disturbing to me that both products only seem to have the most basic firewall only showing ports as closed vs Stealth. For an explanation look at what Steve Gibson has to say https://www.grc.com/faq-shieldsup.htm#STEALTH

Honistly I cant remember the last time I did a port scan with an off the shelf router consumer or otherwise and the port scan did not show Stealth, Even my FiOs router shows stealth and that's the best policy, It seems to me that both Eero and Luma only included the most basics of firewall to get them by and that does not give me a worm and fuzzy feeling. Do we even know if Luma or Eero are doing 'statefull packet inspection'? I am just not convinced that these products have the users security/safety front and center at this point.

"

su-q.gif ShieldsUP! shows my ports as 'Closed' and not 'Stealth', but I want Stealth! How do I get 'Stealth'? su-a.gif 'Stealthed' ports are a, strictly speaking, a violation of proper TCP/IP rules of conduct. Proper conduct requires a closed port to respond with a message indicating that the open request was received, but has been denied. This lets the sending system know that its open request was received so that it doesn't need to keep retrying. But, of course, this "affirmative denial" also lets the sending system know that a system actually exists on the receiving end . . . which is what we want to avoid in the case of malicious hackers attempting to probe our systems. 

transpixel.gif

I coined the term 'Stealth' when I developed this site's port probing technology to describe a closed port that chooses to remain completely hidden by sending nothing back to its attempted opener, preferring instead to appear not to exist at all. 

transpixel.gif

Since 'Stealthing' is non-standard behavior for Internet systems, it is behavior which must be created and enforced by means of a firewall security system of some sort. The native TCP/IP interface software used by personal computers will ALWAYS reply that a port is closed. Therefore, some additional software or hardware, in the form of a 'stealth capable firewall' must be added to the computer system in order to squelch its "closed port" replies. 

transpixel.gif

To get full stealth-mode status from your system, I highly recommend using the completely FREE ZoneAlarm 2 firewall from ZoneLabs, Inc. Visit their website at www.ZoneLabs.com to learn more about this excellent and free firewall, then download the latest version.

Edited by itGeeks

eero just announced they're in stock at best buy.  They're not making it easy on Luma right now.  

Just checked all my local best buy stores and yup in stock ready for pickup today and it seems the customers are loving it, It got 4.9 stars out of 5 with 43 reviews vs Luma 3.6 stars out of 5 with 19 reviews.

Eero http://www.bestbuy.com/site/eero-wireless-ac-dual-band-wifi-access-point-system-3-pack/5279034.p?id=bb5279034&skuId=5279034

Luma http://www.bestbuy.com/site/luma-home-luma-wireless-ac-dual-band-wi-fi-router-3-pack/5300400.p?id=bb5300400&skuId=5300400

I have an eero discount code for a 3-pack @ $299.  I will send it to the first person who wants it.  Just PM me.

Very generous of you.  I sent you a message about the discount code.

He forgot to say staff excluded :) wow that was fast. LOL

I got lucky.  I didn't request it for myself.  Hopefully a friend of mine is able to utilize it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One for the record books on possible shill posts by marketing - taken from the Best Buy website.  Note the date and the comment about "these past few months":

Luma is THE Internet Game Changer

July 12, 2016

    

    

Having Luma's surround Wi-Fi throughout my home these past few months has been a revolutionary experience for my internet life. I have 80-120 devices simultaneously connected to my 3 Luma Wireless Routers and they work PERFECTLY.
The consistency, the reliability, the strength of the service and the accessibility features on the app BLOW my MIND! It's like opening a brand new iPhone +++ when you start, plug, play and you're ready! 
I will never have to buy another wireless internet router/firewall/range extender/wireless access point again! THANKS LUMA!

One for the record books on possible shill posts by marketing - taken from the Best Buy website.  Note the date and the comment about "these past few months":

Luma is THE Internet Game Changer

July 12, 2016

    

    

Having Luma's surround Wi-Fi throughout my home these past few months has been a revolutionary experience for my internet life. I have 80-120 devices simultaneously connected to my 3 Luma Wireless Routers and they work PERFECTLY.

The consistency, the reliability, the strength of the service and the accessibility features on the app BLOW my MIND! It's like opening a brand new iPhone +++ when you start, plug, play and you're ready! 

I will never have to buy another wireless internet router/firewall/range extender/wireless access point again! THANKS LUMA!

Wow, just wow.

I've got the Luma 3-pack sitting at my desk. Wanted to at least try it and then likely

send it back. Don't really see any reason to even do that. There doesn't seem to be

a good ending to this story. 

• Like 1