RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Luma Reviews

schoondoggy

Still disappointed Eero wouldn't do price matching or I would go ahead and jump the Luma ship until they

figure out what they are doing.

The reviewer makes another point in that D-Link, already Ubiquiti and others will soon be in this market. 

Ya I know but I tried but your rite and after all I guess after everything Luma has put us threw I should not try and be forgiving ^_^

You know Chris I know I must be crazy but I still think Luma has a winning product they just need to stop the "crap" and be honist and start delivering on the promise. Whats most exciting to me with Luma over Eero is the security they claim to offer, I know it needs work but that feature was the deciding factor for me and probably many others that held on this long. That said if they don't produce soon I am out.

I understand what they are trying to do. They are late to the game because eero has a jump on them. They had some delays and rather than disappoint everyone they decided to start shipping and make changes in the fly. They may have been OK if they hadn't ticked everyone off with thei shipping debacle. Instead they have deteriorated the consumers trust and no one knows what to believe any more.

The security feature is just talk until someone can prove it works. If Luma implemented it then surely they have a test to verify it works. Write a white paper and communicate what is going on.

The sad part is that the average consumer will buy Luma and think it is fantastic. They will assume those features are just working.

Btw, I don't like this whole idea that someone else is deciding what is PG, G or R for the filter. Maybe it's fine but I should be able to see what is being filtered and have some control.

• Like 1

I understand what they are trying to do. They are late to the game because eero has a jump on them. They had some delays and rather than disappoint everyone they decided to start shipping and make changes in the fly. They may have been OK if they hadn't ticked everyone off with thei shipping debacle. Instead they have deteriorated the consumers trust and no one knows what to believe any more.

The security feature is just talk until someone can prove it works. If Luma implemented it then surely they have a test to verify it works. Write a white paper and communicate what is going on.

The sad part is that the average consumer will buy Luma and think it is fantastic. They will assume those features are just working.

Btw, I don't like this whole idea that someone else is deciding what is PG, G or R for the filter. Maybe it's fine but I should be able to see what is being filtered and have some control.

Giving some thought to canceling Luma and see what else comes out.

Still disappointed Eero wouldn't do price matching or I would go ahead and jump the Luma ship until they

figure out what they are doing.

The reviewer makes another point in that D-Link, already Ubiquiti and others will soon be in this market. 

I know what you mean, This update cant come soon enough and they better hit a home run with it after all this constant waiting or I feel there going to have many more returns. As for Ubiquiti besides having a bad taste for there products (I don't want to get into the whole thing that there better now) there competing solution is ugly and way to many options/sku's to pick from. I would much rather see Netgear/Asus come out with a competing product then I think we would have some great performing options.  I think the next 1-3 years is going to be very interesting in this space and it will be interesting to see if both Eero/Luma are still around three years from now. I am sure we all have seen many start-ups that are here today gone tomorrow.

Edited by itGeeks

Giving some thought to canceling Luma and see what else comes out.

I understand how your feeling but since Eero is no longer offering the discount to disappointed Luma pre-order customers and you already have it ordered y not just wait till you get Luma and hopefully Luma will already have pushed the much needed 1st update by then and then test it for yourself and with any hope some of these shortfalls will be a thing of the past, I know the bitterness of it all will last a longtime but if Luma can finally give us the product we paid for the healing process can begin. Hang in there, It won't be long now before we all know what Luma is or is not then you can decide to return it within 14 days after testing.

Among most of the added features that where promised at launch Luma says 'Ethernet backhaul' should be fixed as well as the problem with none computers getting DHCP so it all looks good on paper lets just see if they deliver this time.

Edited by itGeeks

Well stated, I could not agree with you more that we can't see anything like what is being filtered. I also don't like that everything is behind a curtain and we have to guess whats going on including what firmware version we are on. Now I understand Luma is for the average user and lets face it the average user in most cases don't drill-down threw menus of settings heck the average user won't even setup an admin/wireless password unless forced to at setup but that information should be there for the ones that want to see whats going on and to make changed if we choose. I believe this stuff is hidden because Luma does NOT want us to no whats going on right now because there is lots of work to do and your right and I have already said it here the pore average user that thinks there protected and or they think there kids can't get to inappropriate websites maybe in for a shock. This is the same reason I have not deployed the Luma to my daughters yet like I wanted, The filtering wont keep the young ones safe.

Edited by itGeeks

eero just announced they're in stock at best buy.  They're not making it easy on Luma right now.  

Ouch, Nope not good news for Luma at all. Now the only thing Eero needs to do is support some network security like Luma "claimed" they had and I think Luma is in big trouble. Good for Eero, They really seem to have there act together.

Ouch, Nope not good news for Luma at all. Now the only thing Eero needs to do is support some network security like Luma "claimed" they had and I think Luma is in big trouble. Good for Eero, They really seem to have there act together.

Was it you who said Luma didn't even have a firewall?  I thought someone did.  eero does.  Just add Circle with Disney for $99 if you have kids.  Its much more detailed than what I understand you may be getting from Luma at the moment.  

eero just announced they're in stock at best buy.  They're not making it easy on Luma right now.  

They don't deserve for it to be easy for them.

I understand how your feeling but since Eero is no longer offering the discount to disappointed Luma pre-order customers and you already have it ordered y not just wait till you get Luma and hopefully Luma will already have pushed the much needed 1st update by then and then test it for yourself and with any hope some of these shortfalls will be a thing of the past, I know the bitterness of it all will last a longtime but if Luma can finally give us the product we paid for the healing process can begin. Hang in there, It won't be long now before we all know what Luma is or is not then you can decide to return it within 14 days after testing.

Among most of the added features that where promised at launch Luma says 'Ethernet backhaul' should be fixed as well as the problem with none computers getting DHCP so it all looks good on paper lets just see if they deliver this time.

My first 3-pack is much more affordable than the full-price of the 3-pack by Eero. I'll wait and try it out. If it works great, if not, on E-Bay it goes.