RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Luma Reviews

schoondoggy

I am especially interested in your input. Prior to Eero and Luma I was looking at Open-Mesh. It seems to be rock solid with great performance. Add Circle to it and

it would be a great solution. 

The Circle like functionality would be great, but for now I just want solid wi-fi. Do you feel either of these products can honestly replace Open-Mesh?

You are correct OM is a great product with five star support but you really can't compare it to Luma/Eero, Yes they all have WiFi but that's where it comparison ends. OM is WAP's only where both Eero/Luma have routers, Parental controls then Luma adds Antivirus/Malware protection. If you need the extra goodness that Luma offers then I would say yes it can replace OM. I been running Luma for 6 days now and it's been rock solid, The only complaint I have other then missing features is the Luma app is misreporting my internet download speed but when I run a speed test its perfect.

You have to look at it this way you could run 3 separate devices to give you everything Luma offers at a cost of space, electric, heat and separate management interface or just run a singe device that is very easy to manage threw your smart phone, Tablet and soon to come an internet browser. My vote goes to this.

Closing thoughts, If you looking for WiFi only then OM is going to be hard to beat :) And if your looking for a complete solution my vote is still going to Luma as I still feel it's going to be a winner, They just need some time to get on feature parity with there promise and get any bugs worked out that they may have.

Edited by itGeeks

Looking at the numbers people are posting all three Eero, Luma and O-M seem to be turning in similar numbers. I would expect O-M to be faster, but;  http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11133-open-mesh-speed/

As others have said if you go O-M you will need to add a firewall and circle.

The only thing I can add to this is depending on the size of your house you may need more Eero/Luma devices then OM because Eero/Luma are not high powered like OM.

There are only two SSID, One for guest and the main SSID. The guest SSID is fixed by adding -Guest to the end of you main SSID. If I where you since the Luma 3 pack already showed up set them up and test them, You have nothing to loose and by the sound of it OM is not cutting it for you right now. Ethernet backhaul is enabled on Luma according to support yesterday so if you can plug them all in to Ethernet over using wireless mesh, This will give you the best performance.

Amazon will still take them back open? anyway sorry to ask in the wrong spot - ill move, but i presume i need a luma in place of my zyxel usg20? or can they just be AP's like the OM?

Amazon will still take them back open? anyway sorry to ask in the wrong spot - ill move, but i presume i need a luma in place of my zyxel usg20? or can they just be AP's like the OM?

Normally yes Amazon with take stuff back within there return policy for any reason. I have also contacted Amazon outside the return policy and they still gave me an RMA, Mileage may vary.

I too have had good luck with Amazon accept returns well beyond their 30 day return period. In some cases up to 6 months though not necessarily the full credit amount but considering how much I order, some credit is still better than no credit.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to tell you I LMAS off when I read this part of the review

"Taiwan ODM Gemtek , which has requested short-term non-disclosure for the internal photos. So I opened up an unused Luma for a look-see" For a look-see now that's funny :D I guess you could say so much for none-disclosure internals

I wished I was shocked with the review but sadly I was not, Most of the bad on the review we already new and for the most part is spot on. The only part I don't know if I agree with is performance though they did much more extensive testing then I did performance here has been fine and the unit has been rock solid. I am not even sure it was fair to review Luma till after at least the first update, We know from what we are being told lots of missing features should be enabled and it will also include bug fixes/tuning Ect. It was an interesting review however, Thanks for sharing.

update: Clock is ticking Luma, Units are getting to reviewers and the promised update by end of July is shortening with only 4 days left I am hopping you can be on time for the first time with said promise because god knows everything else you said or promised in the past is how do you say? Down the toilet along with my faith in the product. It maybe to late to save the many returns and or cancelled orders but its not to late to save the rest. Honest communication to your customers is "Key" here.

Edited by itGeeks

Its in the market its fair game to review. Might be an exception if this was a pre-release unit but we know it's standard production.

Its in the market its fair game to review. Might be an exception if this was a pre-release unit but we know it's standard production.

Ya I know but I tried but your rite and after all I guess after everything Luma has put us threw I should not try and be forgiving ^_^

You know Chris I know I must be crazy but I still think Luma has a winning product they just need to stop the "crap" and be honist and start delivering on the promise. Whats most exciting to me with Luma over Eero is the security they claim to offer, I know it needs work but that feature was the deciding factor for me and probably many others that held on this long. That said if they don't produce soon I am out.

Edited by itGeeks