RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Luma Reviews

schoondoggy

Per O-M Support:

Yes. [firmware 6.2] It'll allow you to disable certain features to gain higher throughput on all MR devices + OM5P-AC.

Not quite sure what those features are yet.

I haven't received my Luma.

Can anyone who has the Luma share what is the FCC ID for Luma?  I found two possible manufacturers matching Luma on https://fccid.io/ but I don't think they are correct.  One has office in West Virginia and the other in California, not Georgia as expected.

I am looking for internal pictures of Luma to understand how its antenna radiation patterns differ from Eero.

Edited by oscar17

I really wish Eero allowed a vertical orientation. I have two spots with AC power that would be a great spot for them.

Sadly, from what I've read they need to be horizontal.

I haven't received my Luma.

Can anyone who has the Luma share what is the FCC ID for Luma?  I found two possible manufacturers matching Luma on https://fccid.io/ but I don't think they are correct.  One has office in West Virginia and the other in California, not Georgia as expected.

I am looking for internal pictures of Luma to understand how its antenna radiation patterns differ from Eero.

FCC ID: MXF-L1000

Model WRTQ-329ACN

Made in China

Thank you dchay for the FCC ID.

Next question about LAN/WLAN speeds.

Can someone with Luma and Eero run iperf3 through their routers?  Software is at https://iperf.fr/iperf-download.php

Suggested basic tests to determine maximum throughput in different scenarios.

1. PC(server)--<LAN>--[Luma] - - - [Luma]--<LAN>--PC(client) {test wireless Luma to Luma link speed, should be best of all test results}

2. PC(server)--<LAN>--[Luma] - - - wireless PC or smartphone(client) {maybe limited by wireless PC or smartphone wireless radio}

3. wireless PC(server) - - - [Luma] - - - wireless PC(client) {should be lowest of results}

4. wireless PC(server) - - - [Luma] - - - [Luma] - - - wireless PC(client)

5. swap Luma for Eero and repeat 1-4.

Bonus: Step 2 with one active Luma.  Move client in multiples of 10 feet away from Luma (unobstructed line of sight) and retest.

Note: I realize someone would likely suggest this post be moved to the Wifi Testing Standards topic.

Sorry to be assertive in my interests.  I welcome suggestions of a better test plan.

Thank you for this forum's help.

As for testing Luma as a gateway, we could run a test like the following.  The PCs should have gigabit ethernet adapters to minimize them being a limiting factor on speed.

6. PC(server)--<WAN>--[LUMA]--<LAN>--PC(client)

Are there really legit reviews yet? I got tired of my monster d-link 3600l and ordered luma - I kind of gave up waiting and ordered a Mesh Networks MR1750 and OM5P-AC. I love the poe, multiple SSID (especially with custom DNS) but it looks like it only meshes with the OM5P-AC on 2.4ghz? does that mean 5ghz is disabled when in mesh mode? I get ok coverage but not as good as I expected. Last week the Luma 3-pack showed up from Amazon and now I dont know what to do - move to luma in hope of better coverage or replace the OM5P-AC with another MR1750 (does anyone know if theyd mesh on 5ghz?).

Im guessing (though I cant tell from any reviews ive seen) that the Luma wouldn't support multiple SSID?

Im guessing (though I cant tell from any reviews ive seen) that the Luma wouldn't support multiple SSID?

I believe that is correct.  Probably a question better asked in the Luma Technical questions topic.

Edit - removed link to a review that was already noted earlier.

Coincidentally I am using Open-Mesh behind Sophos UTM 9 firewall with a Circle device for enforcing childrens web filtering and time restrictions. Solution is rock solid. Not to mention, OM's tech support is second to none. My father was interested in better wi-fi than his old 802.11g router/wifi AP so may ultimately gift the Luma to him.

That would be a great idea. That will give your father some much needed gateway protection with WiFi in an easy to administrate package. Luma has been up and running for 6 days and its been rock solid for me, I have not tested the parental controls yet but its been my main router and so far really no complaints other then the Luma app is misreporting my download speeds but when I run a speed test I am getting my speeds. Luma says there is a soft date for port forwarding of July 26th.

Are there really legit reviews yet? I got tired of my monster d-link 3600l and ordered luma - I kind of gave up waiting and ordered a Mesh Networks MR1750 and OM5P-AC. I love the poe, multiple SSID (especially with custom DNS) but it looks like it only meshes with the OM5P-AC on 2.4ghz? does that mean 5ghz is disabled when in mesh mode? I get ok coverage but not as good as I expected. Last week the Luma 3-pack showed up from Amazon and now I dont know what to do - move to luma in hope of better coverage or replace the OM5P-AC with another MR1750 (does anyone know if theyd mesh on 5ghz?).

There are only two SSID, One for guest and the main SSID. The guest SSID is fixed by adding -Guest to the end of you main SSID. If I where you since the Luma 3 pack already showed up set them up and test them, You have nothing to loose and by the sound of it OM is not cutting it for you right now. Ethernet backhaul is enabled on Luma according to support yesterday so if you can plug them all in to Ethernet over using wireless mesh, This will give you the best performance.

Edited by itGeeks