RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Luma Reviews

schoondoggy

Yikes. That review was abysmal. On par with the Eero I nreturned. Just received my Luma 3-pack. May not even open it. 40dbffca116ea3edd1ab165e9691e98b.jpg

I would agree with Dave's post above.

If you don't want them I think someone will take them off your hands.

Yikes. That review was abysmal. On par with the Eero I nreturned. Just received my Luma 3-pack. May not even open it. 40dbffca116ea3edd1ab165e9691e98b.jpg

Did you open and test your new Luma's yet?

Tested my Open-Mesh. Average about 90/80 Mbps read/write over my wi-fi to a WSE12R2 network share. Never have any concurrent movie streaming issues so it works for me.

Cable business internet is 50/10 Mbps.

Will unbox and try Luma soon.

Jason,

Which open-mesh SKU do you have. Getting anywhere between 50-70% of the rated speed is good and of course you must have the equivalent wireless adaptor on the device at the other end (n/ac not just a g). I am still using my old Asus N66 RT-U router bridged as an AP and it is only 802.11n. My Speeds on Lan Speed Test (no LST Server) to WSE12R2 network share are:

323/359 Mbps over the ethernet from my desktop &

33/35 Mbps over the wireless from my Surface Pro 3

I need an 802.11 ac AP hanging off my non wireless router and don't know which way to go.  My apartment is large but all on one level and with solid brick walls.  2 mesh devices would be plenty but which one. Open Mesh, Lumia, Plume, or Ubiquity.  Maybe to early to make a decision!

Jason,

Which open-mesh SKU do you have. Getting anywhere between 50-70% of the rated speed is good and of course you must have the equivalent wireless adaptor on the device at the other end (n/ac not just a g). I am still using my old Asus N66 RT-U router bridged as an AP and it is only 802.11n. My Speeds on Lan Speed Test (no LST Server) to WSE12R2 network share are:

323/359 Mbps over the ethernet from my desktop &

33/35 Mbps over the wireless from my Surface Pro 3

I need an 802.11 ac AP hanging off my non wireless router and don't know which way to go.  My apartment is large but all on one level and with solid brick walls.  2 mesh devices would be plenty but which one. Open Mesh, Lumia, Plume, or Ubiquity.  Maybe to early to make a decision!

Jason/pcdock and I have are the Open-Mesh MR1750 and it works really good. The rang/performance and support is outstanding

Edited by itGeeks

I have the Open-Mesh MR1750 802.11ac AP. Am connected via a Dell XPS 12 laptop with an Intel Wireless-AC 7260 adapter.

I have the Open-Mesh MR1750 802.11ac AP. Am connected via a Dell XPS 12 laptop with an Intel Wireless-AC 7260 adapter.

Funny you and I posted at the same time. I know Open-Mesh is hard to beat but we all need to try new things from time to time. Unbox those Luma's with an open mind without having your expectations to high for an early product and I think you will see the potential that Luma has to offer. This is coming from an Untangle/Open-Mesh fanboy. Luma is not really ready for prime time as it lacks much of the features it promised at launch but Luma is going in the right direction. The app is very clean with all the important info front and center they just need to get on feature parity with there promise and I think they have a winning product. I been running Luma for 4 days and its been running well with no drops in internet. Yes there are bugs they need to workout like any company would have to with a new release but it will get sorted out.

I am looking at all this from an angle that it takes 3-4 different systems to get what Luma is promising and if I can eliminate all those extra systems and have everything under one management console that our wife's & kids can manage and save energy at the same time then Luma is a win win for me, Only time will tell if Luma can meet there claims but I believe they will given the time any new company needs with a new product.

Edited by itGeeks

Funny you and I posted at the same time. I know Open-Mesh is hard to beat but we all need to try new things from time to time. Unbox those Luma's with an open mind without having your expectations to high for an early product and I think you will see the potential that Luma has to offer. This is coming from an Untangle/Open-Mesh fanboy. Luma is not really ready for prime time as it lacks much of the features it promised at launch but Luma is going in the right direction. The app is very clean with all the important info front and center they just need to get on feature parity with there promise and I think they have a winning product. I been running Luma for 4 days and its been running well with no drops in internet. Yes there are bugs they need to workout like any company would have to with a new release but it will get sorted out.

I am looking at all this from an angle that it takes 3-4 different systems to get what Luma is promising and if I can eliminate all those extra systems and have everything under one management console that our wife's & kids can manage and save energy at the same time then Luma is a win win for me, Only time will tell if Luma can meet there claims but I believe they will given the time any new company needs with a new product.ems 

I am especially interested in your input. Prior to Eero and Luma I was looking at Open-Mesh. It seems to be rock solid with great performance. Add Circle to it and

it would be a great solution. 

The Circle like functionality would be great, but for now I just want solid wi-fi. Do you feel either of these products can honestly replace Open-Mesh?

Coincidentally I am using Open-Mesh behind Sophos UTM 9 firewall with a Circle device for enforcing childrens web filtering and time restrictions. Solution is rock solid. Not to mention, OM's tech support is second to none. My father was interested in better wi-fi than his old 802.11g router/wifi AP so may ultimately gift the Luma to him.

• Like 1

I am especially interested in your input. Prior to Eero and Luma I was looking at Open-Mesh. It seems to be rock solid with great performance. Add Circle to it and

it would be a great solution. 

The Circle like functionality would be great, but for now I just want solid wi-fi. Do you feel either of these products can honestly replace Open-Mesh?

Looking at the numbers people are posting all three Eero, Luma and O-M seem to be turning in similar numbers. I would expect O-M to be faster, but;  http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11133-open-mesh-speed/

As others have said if you go O-M you will need to add a firewall and circle.