RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Luma Reviews

schoondoggy

Yikes. That review was abysmal. On par with the Eero I nreturned. Just received my Luma 3-pack. May not even open it. 40dbffca116ea3edd1ab165e9691e98b.jpg

WOW That does not sound good and I have not even read the review yet.

Yikes. That review was abysmal. On par with the Eero I nreturned. Just received my Luma 3-pack. May not even open it. 40dbffca116ea3edd1ab165e9691e98b.jpg

Please elaborate, what made the review abysmal?

Have you run tests on your Open-Mesh?

Keep in mind his numbers are throughput not connection. I recommended that you test what you currently have to give you a baseline to compare from. It would appear that he did not try Ethernet backhaul. He also claims there are no advanced port settings. Eero asked users to let their networks 'learn' before testing. I have to wonder if Luma is similar.

The close range throughput on Luma dwarfs Eero.  I like that.  I need to get some base numbers on my gear again.  I hope everyone is doing that for their personal reviews.

1st I want to remind everyone that both Eero and Luma are very much v1 products and as such there are going to be problems/disappointments at launch, This is part of the process when we sign on for early adoption to any product and is going to take time to flush out any bugs it may have. I am personally OK with this as long as the company is responsive to the problems and they fix them in a timely manor, Heck even the great performing Asus wireless routers take Asus 6-12 to flush out all there bugs and Asus has been doing this a long time. Another seasoned company that comes to mind is Sophos, They been doing this a long time and even they released a product Sophos XG with tons of bugs and still after several months there are complaints of things still not working. If one does not want to go threw the growing pains then they should wait 6-8 months till such bugs are flushed and then purchase the tech for review & testing.

2nd schoondoggy has said before that we should not have high expectations at launch for this very reason. I still believe Luma packs a powerful punch with all the great protection it provides and I would not be so concerned about the reviews at this point as Luma is very much a v1 product . As disappointed as I am with Luma not shipping FIFO as promised I am still a believer in the product and as such I am discrediting pcmag review because I don't think the testing was done correctly. For starters I agree with schoondoggy I don't think pcmag tested with Ethernet backhaul but only wireless mesh and that will diminish performance no matter what product your testing, When using wireless mesh you will take a performance hit no matter what. What pcmag should of done was tested Ethernet backhaul as well as wireless mesh and explained the difference and y it is different, I understand that this is for home use and the majority will probably use the wireless mesh for the nodes but a comparison of both and the reason for us to use wired over wireless meshing would of been nice. I also have to wonder if pcmag did there review of Eero wireless mesh before the 3rd radio was turned on for it? My understanding was that Eero shipped with the 3rd radio disabled and I still don't know if its working.

Jason what I would do if I where you is be happy you seem to be the only one in this community that got there Luma pro-order, I would take some benchmarks of what you have in place now then unbox Luma and set it up one unit at a time and run more benchmarks as you setup each node and if possible test each node with wireless mesh as well as Ethernet backhaul and document your results, Then to spite what the numbers show I would test media streaming on several devices using something like Netflix and see if there is any stuttering/buffering and if not I would test web browsing and if everything works and does not feel slow to spite what the numbers show I would call it good for now. It will only get better over time but at least you know you have WiFi everywhere and good network protection at the gateway.

If you decide to move forward with testing please let use all know how it works and if possible post benchmarks before and after. Good luck...