RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Boot Trouble / Hang

userhss

Hi,

I've bought my MS Gen8 about a month ago and so far I only had trouble with it  :(.

If you can give me some hints I would really appreciate.

Set-up is like this:

CPU: 1265Lv2

RAM: 16 GB

Bay1: 2TB WD Green

Bay2: 2TB WD Green

Bay3: Empty

Bay4: Empty

ODD: Kingston SSD 240GB

microSD: 16GB (esxi v6.0)

I have RAID 1 (2x2TB) and another RAID for the SSD (aparently without the RAID the SSD drive wasn't seen).

For some reason I don't know why the boot process hangs after the RAID is initialized. 

I've waited for 40 mins and no progress. 

boot.png

What's even odd is that from time to time the keyboard is not responsive either (no action is taken regardless the fact that I press the Fn buttons).

So I have to do a restart ... very strange behavior. 

Have you seen this before, do you have any ideas on how to fix it ? 

Thanks a lot.

Edited by userhss

Initally I ran an update via Intelligent Provisioning and I assumed that all updates were performed.

Should I try to do a BIOS upgrade first ? As far as I knew you need to have a support contract (which I don't have) in order to download a new BIOS or am I wrong. 

I noticed if I change to AHCI the server continues to boot .. so it seems it's somehow related with the RAID controller. 

So .. what to do next ?

edit: 

iLO version is 4 and iLO Firmware Version 2.40 (Dec 2015)

Edited by userhss

Go into the RAID controller setup during boot and check to see if the SSD is set as the boot device. Go into the BIOS to confirm that the B120i is set to be the first boot device.

I'd unplug everything that does not come with the standard build device, see if it boots to "no operating system" then add each component back one by one till you get the culprit

Hi,

I have the boot OS installed on the SD card - but I removed the SD card in order to do the test.  

I managed to find the SPP iso image and I did a BIOS upgrade. 

Then I took out the first two HDDs (Bay1 and Bay2) and the system continued to boot passing the "hanging point".

After that I replaced the drives from the first two bays with the drives from the last two bays. And I only kept two drives in (Bay 1 and Bay2), all OK. 

I added another drive in Bay 3 .. all OK.

After that I added the last drive in Bay 4 and the system hang again. 

So I think there is something wrong with one HDD which generates the hanging problem. Any ideas ?

I will try to do a HDD format or something ... maybe I can recover it.

I know for sure that the drive was working as it was used before in an another environment. 

Thanks a lot for your help guys. 

Hi,

I have the boot OS installed on the SD card - but I removed the SD card in order to do the test.  

Sorry, I missed this on your configuration listed at the top. There are lots of reported issues with SD cards and the Gen8. Shut down the server, unplug it from the wall, wait about 10 minutes, plug it back in and see if the SD card is recognized.