RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hp microserver 1220L upgrade

nazios44

Hello, i am new in community and generally in servers.

I decided to buy a small server to play a bit with various applications, basically to make it a home server. I read a lot on this forum and from your posts guys i decided to buy hp gen 8 micro-server. I had already see many of upgrade possibilities and after having it for 1 month i made some upgrades.

First was 16gb ram kingstone because 4gb was way too low for a system running zfs raid on nas4free.

After browsing on eBay i found for 90 euros the intel e3 xeon 1220L. (It's not the v2 model).

I just install them and work fine for the moment. I attacked some photos to check the temperatures.

I guess that 40 degrees is ok since 1610t was working on 37. I am a little worried about chipset thought.

Greetings from Greece

Panos

Photo_22_6_16_15_32_32.jpg

Photo_22_6_16_15_32_34.jpg

Photo_22_6_16_15_37_43.jpg

Photo_22_6_16_15_40_19.jpg

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

How it's possible to have same temps with me since i have 1220L? Do you have any fan inside?

As i said 1220 is L but not v2

The CPU sensor for iLO isn't the sensor inside the CPU itself and it isn't particularly accurate. It appears to have 40C as the lower limit and won't show anything lower.

The CPU sensor for iLO isn't the sensor inside the CPU itself and it isn't particularly accurate. It appears to have 40C as the lower limit and won't show anything lower.

So how is it possible to see the actual measurements? I don't run windows OS, but Nas4Free. Inside Nas4free on overall screen temperatures are same. Around 40-43 on 2 cores and 38 on virtual cores.

So how is it possible to see the actual measurements? I don't run windows OS, but Nas4Free. Inside Nas4free on overall screen temperatures are same. Around 40-43 on 2 cores and 38 on virtual cores.

Your OS can query the CPU directly to read the thermal sensor inside.

If you're showing 40C for the iLO sensor and similar results from the actual CPU itself then you've got nothing to worry about. Everything is working properly.

Your E3 1220L is slightly higher (20W) TDP than the E3 1220Lv2 (17W) that HP supplies as a supported configuration but still far below G1610T (35W) that is the basic configuration. The E3 1220Lv2 and G1610T SKUs both use the same heatsink.

Your screenshot is far too small to actually read the values for chipset. My Gen8 Microserver with a E3 1265Lv2 (45W) on a stock heatsink has 28C as inlet, 40C from the iLO CPU sensor and chipset temperature of 59C.