RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Q: Best practice on external storage?

RobWu

Hi all,

After working with the new 2012 R2 server for a while now, I'm adding more stuff & features to it.

I want to add two external drives to the server, so I can add the folders & data on them to the shared folder list. It's mostly movies and music, but quite large so I want to keep it out of the main storage.
The problem is that the server keeps nagging these are backup drives.
Is there a way to have the server just see these drives as they are, additional data? I have browsed the web, but all my searches come up with is:  external drive = backup drive....

cheers!

rob

• 4 weeks later...

Just bumping this one.

After some more searching, it seems this isn't possible anymore in 2012 (r2).

In the end I copied all the data to the server, "loosing" 1.5Tb of storage in the process, something that imho isn't neccessary. :-\

cheers!

rob

To be honest, you should never use USB for long term storage/access of data.  It's not as reliable as using SATA or the like. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

An HBA or RAID card with an external SFF-8088 connector and a SansDigital four drive box would be my first choice.

You sure have a healthy wallet!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To be honest, you should never use USB for long term storage/access of data.  It's not as reliable as using SATA or the like. 

I 100% agree with this, I had a client I took over from another technician that was utilising USB disks (they were a "huge" 1TB at the time back in 2010) where they had failed and sent the data away for recovery, 2500 later they got the data back. (Did tell them to ask next time as I at the time had most of the tools to do basic recoveries). A power failure had blown the disks up (power failures were, and still are common place for this client, although now I have a large UPS system in place to protect it).  and fried the boards.

You sure have a healthy wallet!

Not so much these days, HBA and RAID cards are not expensive, can get some of the old Dell PERC's on eBay (rebadged LSI) quite cheap

• Like 1