RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
felt

Looking for basic setup guide for my ML10v2

felt

Bought this ML10v2 a few months ago and have been hitting wall after wall, frustrated- putting it away for a few weeks, and then trying again. I can not get it to boot from a USB and have not figured out how to recognize and identify drives!

I have gotten iLO4 working with a valid key, I have updated the SPP, registered on who knows how many HP/HPE pages, looked through the documentation- but still can't get the machine to boot to my Linux USB for installation.

This seems like a basic step, but I've kind of lost my objectivity at this point and wanted to ask for help. Is there something I need to do in iLO4 to have it recognize the install media or my drives? I can't seem to make sense of the Virtual Media field.

I want to install Ubuntu 16.04 Server- HP/SPP says it supports Canonical. How do I get the machine to 1) open into BIOS? is it F2/F9/F10/F11 during boot? My POST sequence never seems to get past 10%, and then 2) recognize my hard drives, no matter what number SATA cable, it doesn't see them. I can only open the iLO4 manager from another computer on my network, so I can't open it on local host like the (very helpful) Joe Stutsman videos and instruction guides suggest.

Anyhow, any input on this configuration would be appreciated. I know I'm missing something, but want to exhaust all options before I return this.

noober69

I am not expert but just set up mine and it was frustrating coming from a N54L microserver.  

The boot sequence is long and itself reboots at least once with some beeps during the process, so you need to wait it out.  If the ram is compatible and seated correctly, you should see the counter progress past 10%. Mine goes up to at least 70% before the screen changes, but the boot sequence takes a long time, probably minutes.  

I would boot with a monitor attached and watch the whole time, maybe with a cup of tea/coffee/beer.  It will show you the options for bios (F9 I think) and there are some other options as well like boot sequence if all is well.

If you do not see these and multiple other screens then you have a problem.  I could only suggest videoing the boot seqeunce nad uploading to youtube for more experienced people to look at.

If all is well you need to change the boot sequence and maybe go into the storage section of the bios to change the disks to ahci mode.  The bios is relatively normal once inside.

I installed an os from usb, but it said to create a dos bootable usb stick which I did with rufus from memory, then installed the files to the usb, and it installed fine.  Not too hard but I certainly didn't get it right the first time.  Once you get your head around it, it kind of makes sense.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• E3000
      By E3000
      Does anyone know if it is possible to get Agentless Management Service (AMS) running on Debian/Ubuntu Linux? It is always showing as Not Available in the iLO page and I have only ever seen this active in Windows.
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Hey guys,

Has anyone around here been successful in setting up Proxmox on a Gen8 using a HBA for storage?
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Hey guys,

As of June 2020, what are the latest versions of firmware for HP Microserver Gen8 to be installed on the system itself? Also do any other components have updatable firmware/os-independent software?

So far my list is as follows:
      BIOS - J06 (04/04/2019) iLO 4 - v2.73 (11/02/2020) Intelligent Provisioning - v1.71 (20/02/2019)  
      and I guess the following could also be added (although both out of date):
      Smart Update Manager (HP SUM) - v8.1.0 (21/12/2017) Service Pack for ProLiant (06/11/2017)  
      Date formated as DD/MM/YYYY.

I believe all the B120i Smart Storage stuff is part of Intelligent Provisioning.
    • AnthonyB
      By AnthonyB
      New BIOS for Gen 8 Server now available that resolves Spectre vulnerability. My server is out of warranty. Anyone able to download and share?

** CRITICAL ** Online ROM Flash Component for Windows x64 - HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 (J06) Servers
      https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5390291&swItemId=MTX_13916b9b87d642bc91029439b8&swEnvOid=4184

Version:2018.01.22 (5 Mar 2018)
      Fixes Upgrade Requirement:
      Critical - HPE requires users update to this version immediately.

Important Notes:
      This revision of the System ROM includes the latest revision of the Intel microcode which, in combination with operating system updates, provides mitigation for Variant 2 of the Side Channel Analysis vulnerability, also known as Spectre. The revision of the microcode included in this System ROM does NOT have issues with more frequent reboots and unpredictable system behavior which impacted the previous Intel microcode which was part of the Spectre Variant 2 mitigation. Additional information is available from Intel’s Security Exploit Newsroom, https://newsroom.intel.com/press-kits/security-exploits-intel-products/.
      Firmware Dependencies:
      None
      Problems Fixed:
      Updated the Intel processor microcode to the latest version.
      Known Issues:
      None
    • Dave
      By Dave
      Rachio has just announced version 3 of their popular sprinkler system controller.  Rachio's generation 2 hardware was such an improvement on their first controller it may be hard to top.  Gen 3 looks great and has new hardware to go with it.  First Look video below!

Rachio's approach to irrigation hardware has been pretty straightforward. 

Replace your existing irrigation controller, water smarter,  take advantage of mobile to control it. 

What they have done over the past 2 iterations is make it easier to do all three.  Generation 2's hardware simplified the install immensely and the Rachio 3 Smart Sprinkler Controller looks to do the same as well as  offering more options for the homeowner.  So how do you improve on an already great controller?

Increase the smarts with enhanced weather data
      Add a 5Ghz radio along with 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi
      Add long range communication for add on devices

Let's just jump to the new devices.  Rachio is announcing an add on flow meter called the Rachio Wireless Flow Meter.  It will sense water flow and shut down water supply if it detects a leak.

This is an interesting addition to the product because it moves Rachio from a true DIY product to on that may need help from a professional.  If you know your sprinkler system you know you have a back flow valve somewhere on your property.  It is usually above ground and the Flow Meter can install in-line, after the backflow valve.  Rachio has tips and guidance on the install if you would like to attempt it yourself but it may be prudent to involve your irrigation pro if you don't already have the tools to perform this type of work.

The "smarts" surrounding Rachio 3 cannot be overlooked.  Their new weather intelligence is impressive.  You can gain insight on weather data within a 36 foot radius of the Rachio 3 controller.  Thirty Six Feet!  

Rachio 3 ships April 2018 and can be pre-ordered today at http://www.rachio.com  Rachio Flow ships May 2018.  Pre-Sale pricing is $279 for the 8 Zone and Wireless Flow Meter.  $329 for the 16 Zone and Wireless Flow Meter.  Outdoor enclosures are still $29.

Flow Install Guidance - https://www.rachio.com/pdf/flow-install-overview_final.pdf