RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Add hdd to raid0 array

hellfish

Hello all,

A short question. I have a 2TB hdd drive formatted ntfs. The drive is almost full and i do not have another drive to copy the data. I want to add the drive to a single raid0 array in the B120i smart ACU.

If i add the hdd will i lose the data on it?

Thanks

I'm not 100% sure about this... 

But most RAID hardware wipes the drive contents when adding disks to an array.  And there is no reason to expect the B120i adapter will do anything different. 

You could always use Stablebit Drivepool without redundancy to pool the drives. That way you won't lose any data, and if you lose a drive, you just lose the data on that drive rather than the entire array.

Also gives you the option to add redundancy to individual folders for important data.

On a B120i you can take a NTFS drive and make it a single drive RAID0 without losing your data, but I would never recommend doing it without a backup.

Re-read the OP, if you are trying to add the 2TB drive to an existing single drive RAID0 you can not. The B120i does not support array expansion and a multiple drive RAID0 would overwrite the data in your drive.

Thank you for your answers.

I wand to install the 2tb drive alone. I know i have to add the drive to a array, it will be only this drive in the array.