RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

noober69

Hi, I have a new ML10v2 and am trying to consolidate all my servers onto this little box as much as possible.

I currently actively use:

HTPC server (N54L win 10, 8TB of movies and tv shows, networked to my smart TV that runs a Kodi app). Runs about 12hr/day and doesn't do anything  but serve up HQ MKV files (ie 10gb 1080p movies).

Home server (N54L WHS2011, 8 TB of backup data for client windows pc's.  Data for backup is mainly family photos and video, but could include some of my movie library.  Also used for bitorrent and usenet client.) Runs 24/7, and is slow.

I have win 10 laptop and desktop which I use for work and play, so the servers do not get used for games, watching vids etc.

Requirements for new ML10v2 server:

Consolidate functions as above.

Maintain OS and data backups of 2 windows client pc's.   

Hold and serve video files for Kodi across my GB lan network.  

Run SABNZBD+ for d/l media.  Maybe also some torrenting which I do infrequently. 

Would be on 24/7 and would need to do several things at once.

New ML10v2 has 16gb ram, intel G3240 dual core, ~10tb HDD (before I scavenge the old N54L drives), and a M1015 giving me about 8-10 HDD connections. I am thinking of a low end xeon (1220) and a dual port intel nic as well.

I have put Xpenology on the ML10v2 for a play and it seems to sync client data and serve movies to the tv well. I like its interface and it seems it could take care of SAB, and torrents.  Not sure if that can be done all at once, which it would need to do. Probably can't do Windows OS backups and not sure about proper data backups of photos etc.

So I am thinking I would like to have my ML10v2 act as a single server to replace the 2 N54L boxes.

I have a dreamspark license so I believe I can get Windows Server 2012 R2 in any flavour for free.  I would prefer not to spend money on licenses if I don't have to, but want something reliable.  I currently remote into each box via client pc/laptop for management.

My initial thoughts:

Option 1: install exsi on the bare ML10v2, then install Xpenology as a VM. Also install Win Sever 2012 (or win 10/whs2011 at a pinch) as another VM for OS backups.

Option 2: Install Win Server 2012 baremetal (or win 10?) with Hyper-V and then install Xpenology on top as a VM. 

I want the lowest maintenance solution.  I am not sure how hard the above is to setup and maintain. I am also not sure whether the system could handle all these tasks anyway, so I seek advice.

I have set up my system myself and tweaked it and everything works fine.  I have limited knowledge of Linux, and no understanding of VM.  I do not work in IT as a job, so solutions that require registry hacks, knowledge of CLI commands etc are not going to be easy for me to use.

I could just keep 2/3 different servers but I would prefer to consolidate into one box if possible. 

Thanks.

Hi, I have a new ML10v2 and am trying to consolidate all my servers onto this little box as much as possible.

I currently actively use:

HTPC server (N54L win 10, 8TB of movies and tv shows, networked to my smart TV that runs a Kodi app). Runs about 12hr/day and doesn't do anything  but serve up HQ MKV files (ie 10gb 1080p movies).

Home server (N54L WHS2011, 8 TB of backup data for client windows pc's.  Data for backup is mainly family photos and video, but could include some of my movie library.  Also used for bitorrent and usenet client.) Runs 24/7, and is slow.

I have win 10 laptop and desktop which I use for work and play, so the servers do not get used for games, watching vids etc.

Requirements for new ML10v2 server:

Consolidate functions as above.

Maintain OS and data backups of 2 windows client pc's.   

Hold and serve video files for Kodi across my GB lan network.  

Run SABNZBD+ for d/l media.  Maybe also some torrenting which I do infrequently. 

Would be on 24/7 and would need to do several things at once.

New ML10v2 has 16gb ram, intel G3240 dual core, ~10tb HDD (before I scavenge the old N54L drives), and a M1015 giving me about 8-10 HDD connections. I am thinking of a low end xeon (1220) and a dual port intel nic as well.

I have put Xpenology on the ML10v2 for a play and it seems to sync client data and serve movies to the tv well. I like its interface and it seems it could take care of SAB, and torrents.  Not sure if that can be done all at once, which it would need to do. Probably can't do Windows OS backups and not sure about proper data backups of photos etc.

So I am thinking I would like to have my ML10v2 act as a single server to replace the 2 N54L boxes.

I have a dreamspark license so I believe I can get Windows Server 2012 R2 in any flavour for free.  I would prefer not to spend money on licenses if I don't have to, but want something reliable.  I currently remote into each box via client pc/laptop for management.

My initial thoughts:

Option 1: install exsi on the bare ML10v2, then install Xpenology as a VM. Also install Win Sever 2012 (or win 10/whs2011 at a pinch) as another VM for OS backups.

Option 2: Install Win Server 2012 baremetal (or win 10?) with Hyper-V and then install Xpenology on top as a VM. 

I want the lowest maintenance solution.  I am not sure how hard the above is to setup and maintain. I am also not sure whether the system could handle all these tasks anyway, so I seek advice.

I have set up my system myself and tweaked it and everything works fine.  I have limited knowledge of Linux, and no understanding of VM.  I do not work in IT as a job, so solutions that require registry hacks, knowledge of CLI commands etc are not going to be easy for me to use.

I could just keep 2/3 different servers but I would prefer to consolidate into one box if possible. 

Thanks.

What are the specs of the ML10v2 server? CPU/Memory/Storage. Also am I to take it that you have 16TB of data at this point?

Edited by itGeeks

I am building the server up.  I have 16gb ecc, but may acquire more.  The cpu is a dual core 3ghz celeron without HT.

Over the years my whs2011 has created multiple backups of all photo data and os images, so it was up to around 9tb, but I am clearing it out so realistically it will be about 2tb, but I want headroom for more photos and videos so planning for 4-6tb in raid 5 as a backup.

I have at least 6tb+ of movie data acquired over a long time. I do not need to back it up but might put it in some older disks and store it off line as I will have multiple spare drives and a spare server.

Really I just wonder whether the ML10 v2 can support two servers, one serving up movies the other downloading <25Mb/s and maybe backing up the clients.   

If so, which type of virtualisation  will be best?  There is a possibilty that windows server 2012 will do it all.

I am building the server up.  I have 16gb ecc, but may acquire more.  The cpu is a dual core 3ghz celeron without HT.

Over the years my whs2011 has created multiple backups of all photo data and os images, so it was up to around 9tb, but I am clearing it out so realistically it will be about 2tb, but I want headroom for more photos and videos so planning for 4-6tb in raid 5 as a backup.

I have at least 6tb+ of movie data acquired over a long time. I do not need to back it up but might put it in some older disks and store it off line as I will have multiple spare drives and a spare server.

Really I just wonder whether the ML10 v2 can support two servers, one serving up movies the other downloading <25Mb/s and maybe backing up the clients.   

If so, which type of virtualisation  will be best?  There is a possibilty that windows server 2012 will do it all.

Sorry I need to double post because I can't edit my original so just discard what you already answered ;)

What are the specs of the ML10v2 server? CPU/Memory/Storage  Sorry I see you posted the specs. Also am I to take it that you have 16TB of data at this point? I think I would definitely upgrade the CPU to Xeon if your wanting to do VM's, Memory seems fine for a couple of VM's. I am also new to the VM world and with the help of these forums I ended up installing Windows 10 on my server and using Hyper-V, Its been working very well for me. Like you I want to install and try Xpenology at some point, I love my Synology NAS but the cost of the hardware is a killer. Was it easy to get setup and running?

To give you an idea of the new build I want to do with Windows 10 using Hyper-V I will use the following-

Case with hot-swap drives http://www.u-nas.com/product/nsc800.html

Motherboard with Intel Avoton C2750 Octa-Core Processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157475

Two Samsung 850 Pro's 256 GB SSD, One for OS the other for VM's

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LMXBOP4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=IUFTUCQ3II0VX&psc=1

WD Red NAS drives 6TB or maybe the new 8TB for storage, I would pass all these drives threw the VM to Xpenology and manage my storage that way.

For client backups I use 'Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE' Not only is it free for life it also does bare-metal and unlike WHS2011.WSE2012 the restores work every time.

https://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html

Personally I would stay away from all the Microsoft server products in a home environment unless you have some real need, What you want to do can easily be done with Windows 10 & Hyper-V. In the past I have run WHS2011/WSE2012 and I could not be more happy not running these at home anymore in favor of running two Synology DS1815+ in a 'high availability cluster'

Edited by itGeeks

Two things that I am thinking of here. Firstly yes, VEEAM Endpoint Backup is great, I use it on my devices and I use the full Enterprise Plus version for my clients VM requirements, VEEAM makes life so easy and I have never had a restore failure. Backup failures yes but these normally come down to outside issues, but never an issue on restore.

If you are determined to go the M$ router for the HyperVisor, look at the Hyper-V host specific servers, like ESXi they are free (or they were last I looked) and all they do is host virtual machines, no GUI, no extra crap, nothing making them much more efficient (use much less resources for the host OS) and much more secure (less attack vectors, as there is less stuff installed) than any of the "normal" distributions. Downside.... I hope you can use powershell.

Thanks for the replies, I am starting to get a picture of what I can/can't do. I thought about win 10 with hyper-v as I will have spare licenses if I consolidate servers.  I might try it as a trial and see how it goes.  I have no experience with MS server OS except whs2011, which has been good but underdeveloped.

I bought a xeon 1220 v3 so I will have 4 cores to play with. I can't see the need for more than 3vm's.

As I do not have day to day experience with servers or CLI, I don't like powershell.  What tends to happen is I set things up using a gui, and later when it needs tweaking I can usually remember what I did from the visual interface.  If I learnt a lot of powershell stuff I would only forget it all and then have to start again a couple of months later when an update somewhere crashes the system and I spend days unable to watch any videos because one of several OS's on a machine is unhappy. 

As for xpenology, it was a little tricky to set up, especially on a ml10v2.  I was used to the N54L which just worked out of the box and had a bios much like a normal pc.  The ML10v2 has a much more advanced bios and boot up setup, and incorporates raid bios as well, so if the default settings are not what you need, especially raid settings, you need to work out bios settings.  I was not used to setting up a server type OS.  Basically I needed to read a little on the xpenology websites so get a feel for it. 

it wasn't clear to me at first but here is what I muddled through using files from pages like xpenology.me.

You need to download the DSM files for the server, noting the version. It needs to be loaded on a dos bootable usb stick which stays in the server.  You boot from the usb drive and it installs the files.

Then you need to download and run Synology DSM files (same version as above) on a pc (in my case windows) networked to the server. Then last you need to download and run the Synology assistant on your pc, which finds and connects to the server through your browser.  Once this has happened I imagine it is like a normal synology device.  However be aware that you need to turn updates off, as auto updating can break things.  If there are updates you need, it is best to let others install them and report back on what gets broken.  From what I can tell 5.2-5644 is last good stable update.  Apart from that everything seems to work well. You are not given a Synology ID so if you rely on that it can be tricky. It seems possible to create one with some messing around.

I was also not able to get SABNZBD+ working on Synology either.  Mainly file permissions and networking issues, but probably fixable.

It looks like the next step is win10 hyper v and an install of xpenology on top.

I was also not able to get SABNZBD+ working on Synology either.  Mainly file permissions and networking issues, but probably fixable.

From memory SABNZBD I had to either add a user to a group, add a user, or allow the admin user (not disabled as is my common practice) to get it to run, I cannot recall which part I had to do what for off the top of my head, but the adding of the user to the group had to be done through SSH as the user only showed up utilising the command line utilities, not on the web interface (yes there is a difference between the users you can see on command line and what is on the web interface, same for groups as well). As Synology now support Docker, perhaps look at that for your SABNZBD needs, I do know several people have it running successfully through Docker but they were all utilsing "real" servers running various *nix/BSD flavours

Two things that I am thinking of here. Firstly yes, VEEAM Endpoint Backup is great, I use it on my devices and I use the full Enterprise Plus version for my clients VM requirements, VEEAM makes life so easy and I have never had a restore failure. Backup failures yes but these normally come down to outside issues, but never an issue on restore.

If you are determined to go the M$ router for the HyperVisor, look at the Hyper-V host specific servers, like ESXi they are free (or they were last I looked) and all they do is host virtual machines, no GUI, no extra crap, nothing making them much more efficient (use much less resources for the host OS) and much more secure (less attack vectors, as there is less stuff installed) than any of the "normal" distributions. Downside.... I hope you can use powershell.

I was going to go the rout of Hyper-V host at first but decided to just do it threw Windows 10 because I needed that installed anyway to run things like Plex & my IP cameras NVR. My understanding though was we could manage the Hyper-V through a Windows client like Windows 10, Am I mistaken?

I was going to go the rout of Hyper-V host at first but decided to just do it threw Windows 10 because I needed that installed anyway to run things like Plex & my IP cameras NVR. My understanding though was we could manage the Hyper-V through a Windows client like Windows 10, Am I mistaken?

Yes, you can manage a Hyper-V core server from a Windows 10 client.

Sorry yes, RSAT (Remote Server Administration Tools) should work. Didn't even think about them as I have been forcing myself to use powershell. Just about have it to the point where the powershell scripts I have been working will install, rename, domain join and complete the "standard" configuration for my servers with minimal iteration (besides telling it to run, it wants to know the machine name, domain and requested IP address)