RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Frustrated Gen 8 owner

keymaster

Hi

Unlike my Dell T20 which I can just load Win server 2012 R2 straight from DVD my Gen 8 Microserver is causing me hassle.

So far I have bought Server 2012 R2 Standard, Advanced ILO years subscription and now it seems I cannot get updated drives without paying even more money for a service contract, really? compared to T20 this is crazy.

I tried to load Win server (not on VM) from DVD using intelligent provisioning - but it won't do anything, put win server on a USB flash drive and it gets as far as drives and cannot see any to instal O/S on - 2 x 3TB WD Reds in there but windows installer sees nothing.

Been trying to get Service pack or updated drivers but they want me to pay even more money for a service contract.

K

Are you using B120i or AHCI? If you are using the B120i you need to have the driver available. There is a 2TB partition limit for non-UEFI BIOS.

How old is the server? If it is still in warranty you get access to drivers and downloads. If it is out of warranty you can still get SPP from the FTP site.

Hi

Thank you for your response, I think I have watched your videos 100 times, unfortunatly most of it not sunk in :wacko:  Gen 8 server is out of warranty and I was trying to load win serv 2012 r2 using the B120i.

I did update firmware from the intelligent provisioning but I guess that want enough. Just finding it hard to give the Microserver the same love since I ditched Xpenology, the Dell is easy to get drivers and help and load O/S compared with the Gen8 which seems to be always needing more money paid and website driving me round in circles.

K

If I remember correctly, you only need the service contract to get BIOS updates. Drivers are open download. BIOS updates can be found on the SPP as well. Generally, the SPP can be downloaded from the FTP site with no service contract.

Hi

I spoke to soon, load drivers from USB and it sees drives but says I cannot load windows on them. "The computers hardware does not support booting to this disk. ensure that the controller is enabled in the bios menu" of course it is...

I have not in my life spent so long trying to install windows, I may just use the Poweredge T20 and stick this on ebay :-(

K

That error sounds like the 2TB limit on a Windows boot disk. On a non-UEFI system maximum boot disk size is 2TB. You could partition the drive or use a smaller boot drive. I find it is best to keep your OS and Data separate.