RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Recover Data From Windows Server Image Backup VHDX

kylejwx

Windows Server stores image backups in VHDX files. Typically, you can just mount a VHDX file and view it's contents.  However, I have never gotten this to work with the VHDX files that are created as part of a system image.  Does anyone know of a way to recover the data inside the image without having to restore the whole operating system?

Update: before I even got to finish posting this, I decided to try it one more time. It gave me the same error as before about the disk not being initialized.  Then I thought to check disk management. The drive was there, but no drive letter was assigned to it.  I assigned a driver letter and it worked.  So I guess I hope this helps someone else.   Should I expect this to work consistently?  Has anyone used this option before?

• Like 1

From the Dashboard on any client if you click restore (for any client) then the image is mounted on a drive in the clients file explorer and any file can be accessed and copied.

Am I correct in understanding that you are speaking of restoring data of a client computer that has backed up files to the Server?  In my situation, I want to recover the actual server.  I was using the Built-In Windows Server Backup.