RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

There's a new player - Plume

RobbieH

Hopefully my 6 Luma devices arrive this week and I don't worry about it anymore. 

Was fairly frustrating waiting for them to ship, but didn't take as long as Eero.

At least the crappy consumer router market is changing. 

Looks interesting. I would love to test them. Right now it's Luma vs eero for me. 3 eeros in place and 4 lumas on the way.

Interesting design. They are focused on the throughput issue mesh WiFi devices are running into, Open-Mesh 125Mb/s limit, but I am not sure if their Auto Channel Hop will help. There is one Ethernet port per device. It can run in bridge mode. As for the price they are recommending one per room and hall/connecting space. For my two story house with basement, counting rooms I need WiFi in, that would be around 13 devices, $507 on the pre-order. They really are not talking about the router/firewall capabilities of the system and they say Cloud, way too often. All said, I like the idea of small devices that give you WiFi where you need it.

Interesting, but honestly the concept of https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-wall/is better IMHO. Get rid of the data pass-through, make it TRUE PoE compatible (not their bastardized version) and make it Dual Band AC and I think they could be onto a winner. I would love to at home and at several clients be able to put something like that in

• Like 1

I've been running 3 X OM MR1750 units all using Ethernet backhaul and couldn't be happier. Though I did have issues with their beta Band Steering functionality in 6.1 stable so disabled it. Supposedly 6.2 beta to be released soon should significantly improve overall performance especially 802.11 AC speeds. I've not encountered any speed issues with the MR1750s.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had conversations with Plume support, and the fact that there is only 1 ethernet port per device is probably a deal breaker.  I don't want to have to purchase a switch for each room so I can use ethernet backhaul and also hardwire another device.  Also, they suggest 10-20 feet per device for a bedroom, and 20-40 feet for an open area.   So for a 4-bedroom house, you would need 8+ of these, making it not as good of a deal.   Also I don't really want to plug these in in the hallways, etc.   It does look like cool technology with the "learning", but honestly I have gigabit internet so none of my devices will be starving for bandwidth :)