RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Eero Family Profiles

Dave

Eero has unleashed Family Profiles in their new app.  Think, pause the internet, which we have talked about a lot with Circle and the upcoming Luma Wifi system.

https://blog.eero.com/modern-family-5ffa4551a1f9#.3pvomldkw

You’ll be able to access Family Profiles as soon as your eero system and app are updated to the latest version. Start by creating a profile for each member of your family, or for a device like an Xbox. You can then assign devices to each profile. Once everyone on your network is set up, you can pause and unpause their internet access. Click into a specific profile to set scheduled internet pauses for bedtime or any other time of the day, see already-scheduled pauses, and manage devices assigned to that profile.

I was lucky enough to test the software in beta form but honestly wasn't given enough time to test it.  My first issue was it needed to work in router mode and not in bridge mode.  I have not verified if that is still the case.

I have a hunch that eero is feeling the pressure from the upcoming Luma release.  Luma has these features ready to go and is not as costly as the eero system.  This is a good thing..

Your Eeros will have to update and you have to get the app in order to have it available to you.  I am on 1.1.0 on my devices.  I assume I can chat about this since they pushed it out.  The beta agreement made it seem like the testing would go on for a little longer.

You will need to use Eero as your router in order to use this feature.  You could set on up as a router and do a double NAT just to test it. Pain, agreed, but it's just a test right?

• 3 weeks later...

This is making me nervous that I won't be able to use any of the advanced features of a Luma/Eero if I put them in Bridge mode.   Which means no content filtering, family profiles or anything else?

Why would using Eero as a router be a requirement?  Doesn't Circle connect to your existing network to do the same thing?

It appears that Eero wants to control the flow of traffic and is unable to do that in bridge mode.  Circle works differently and can sit on the network and provide that content filtering.  How does Circle do it?  That is part of their secret sauce...