RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 105, What do you think ?

diehard

Hi,

This week we had 2 Windows Home Server MVP guests, Alex Kuretz from MediaSmartServer.net and Sam Wood from Tentacle Software.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net

http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/

Dave's quote

Backing up your Backups with Alex Kuretz, interpreting the data from Black Box with Sam Wood, it’s the HomeServerShow, Developer Deep Dive Edition. Episode 105 is a long one and we get in depth with with two developers that have been around since the beginning of Windows Home Server. We talk about their latest releases and the “Free vs. Fee” model of Add-Ins for WHS. Outtakes are also back courtesy of our guests and Skype! Don’t miss this one.

So the big question here, What do you think of Free vs Fee addins ?, What do you think ?

I love a long podcast :) but it has to have substance, I didn't realise this one went so long until we were done. :D

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diehard

• Yakuza

• dvn

• foy1der

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that it was awesome. I jumped out of the ustream early so didn't hear the end, but what I heard was great. I'm glad that you were able to take some of the questions for the chat. Guests were fantastic. Great show all around.

I really enjoyed the show in that it opened up a lot of "community" issues.

I use about half a dozen add-ins myself, some paid some free.

Whilst I dont consider any of them "mission Critical" they are certainly nice to have

so it was great to hear of the inspiration behind developers and to hear conjecture about the future of "apps" for WHS

I personally think it would be great for someone (not necessarily MS) to set up an app shop for WHS along the lines of "made for Media Centre"

so developers could earn a $ and we get more robust add-ins and more options to consider.

Great show.

I had fun listening to that show. Very good one.

I run 14 add-ins, some of which I paid for. If the add-in adds value, is executed well and is supported, I have no problem paying a developer for it. After all, they gotta eat!

Jim

I really enjoyed the show in that it opened up a lot of "community" issues.

I use about half a dozen add-ins myself, some paid some free.

Whilst I dont consider any of them "mission Critical" they are certainly nice to have

so it was great to hear of the inspiration behind developers and to hear conjecture about the future of "apps" for WHS

I personally think it would be great for someone (not necessarily MS) to set up an app shop for WHS along the lines of "made for Media Centre"

so developers could earn a $ and we get more robust add-ins and more options to consider.

Great show.

Check out Add-in Central. It's the closest thing you can get to an add-in store.

Check out Add-in Central. It's the closest thing you can get to an add-in store.

I just noticed this today http://www.wegotserved.com/2010/09/10/sign-serveds-addin-alerts/ WGS will send you an email for any new addin updates. It is a fee based subscription. WGS did have a web site dedicated to addins only at whsplus.com but that went away, :( you are redirected back to WGS.

As Sam Wood mentioned, it's quite a labourious process to collect money, manage licenses and send updates.

I would like to see Addin Central take the extra step and manage payment and lisences also.

Ian Dixon's Made for MediaCenter store is a nice idea.

This was a good show. It was great to hear the Sam and Alex talk about their add-ins. I had installed the new BDBB but hadn't really looked it over. And now I don't have to. ^_^

Great show and some in-ter-esting points. I'm willing to pay a nominal fee for a useful add-in. I'd imagine most add-ins are products of a developer's personal need. Making them user-friendly and feature-rich for the rest of us I'd assume takes a lot of time and effort. They should be compensated for that.

I can also see a developer being super critical of their app and feeling it's not ready for a fee-based release. For me, it doesn't have to be perfect. Perhaps a super low fee for the early release and free upgrades until the official retail release. I just don't want to see a good add-in abandoned.

Considering the low overall number of potential customers of a WHS add-in vs. a smartphone app, these aren't people trying to get rich.

The show was a nice glimps into the dark, twisted mind of a WHS developer.

Everyone,

I love this show, a lot of good information. I was not aware of some of these App's had been updated and therefore I went from the free Disk Management from Tentacle Software to the paid version...awesome version. Worth every penny.

So thank you to the developpers for their hard work... the small fee is well worth it.

TheGuy

Great show guys. Interesting to hear the perspectives from developers. Motovatied be to go use BDBB again and it worked great. Had it for awhile and took it off mainly cause it was too slow and long but the addition of USB 3 I did not whole backup in 46 minutes. The interface was better as well. Great show and enjoyed listen to it.