RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
nguyendot

Home firewall options?

nguyendot

I need to go get certified in Sophos UTM and Sophos XG, maybe then I won't think XG is so weird.

itGeeks

Was there a limit on RAM then?  I believed there was some form of hardware limitation.  Maybe I'm out of date.

The limit for Sophos XG is 4 cores/6 GB of RAM

pcdoc

I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I've been lurking and reading the forums, you guys definitely have a breadth of experience on here. I like how people mix enterprise with "hey it's good enough for home" - pretty much my style.

I dabble a bit in networking and servers, but at home it's more of a "what's best for here?".

Anyways, we are going to be hosting a workstation at home in addition to the home stuff. 

My question is what do you guys do for really fast WAN firewall wise? I just got AT&T GigaPower installed with symmetrical 1gbps (it's more like 900ish, but whatever) and I also have Cox 150/10mbps cable. Up until now it's just been the cable service, but the upload is really limiting our hosting and Plex capabilities. The network equipment is as follows:

WAN: AT&T GigaPower 1gbps fiber + Cox 150/10mbps cable. 

Firewall: SonicWALL NSA 2400

Switch: Dell PowerConnect 5524

Wireless: Ruckus ZoneDirector 1125, ZoneFlex R500, 7363, H500. Also AeroHive AP130 and Aruba IAP103. All POE injected - switch is coming upgrade

VM Host: PowerEdge R710 16gb/2x300gb(15k)/4x3TB running web host

Plex: i5 750 16gb 4x3TB FreeNAS - 2x1gb LAG to switch.

There are 4 PCs and will be 1 monster workstation crunching numbers later. 

Lots of ipads/laptops/phones/ps4/etc

So - I've hit the IPS limit on speed with the NSA2400. It hits a hard limit at 200mbps up/down no matter if IPS is on or off, no matter if we use SPI or DPI. It maxes out the dual core CPU and then it stops at 200mbps on speed tests. 

I'm looking at Sophos Home but haven't decided on the hardware yet. Many forums say use a dual core i3 with very high mhz since Snort is notoriously single threaded.

My architects at work tell me to just use Sophos home on mediocre hardware and just deal with multiple streams (multiple people will be fine). 

I kind of want to see a speed test with 900+mbps just for my own ego, but also understand that IPS at that level can be very expensive.

I like to use hardware we work with at work to keep my skills honed. I've also read a lot about pfsense and untangle. Depending on the learning curve I'm willing to try them out too. I need decent NAT and firewall + IPS. I also like to utilize older hardware (hence the NSA 2400, was an old unit we decommissioned). 

I've been scouring eBay and saw several UTM525s and 320s that I think you can use the home license on as a software appliance. I can also piece together something if need be - there are so many options. I don't want it super loud, the R710 is about the limit of noise I want. 

I'm going to try out a Check Point 3200 NGTX but it can't be permanent (demo only), and have used a Palo Alto PA-3020 (too damn loud, also a demo). 

I appreciate any advice you have, and will continue to read the threads down the line!

Nguyendot

I have been running XG on a I5-4570S low power version with max RAM (8 physical, but only uses 6), 54 IP addresses, and routinely max out my 300 meg connection (I am envious of your fiber) and my CPU rarely gets about 2%, and memory runs 20-25% with heavy web filtering, application filtering, and AV.  I am sure that I could run lower end hardware and not have a problem.  The only thing I saw make a small difference in performance was trying to log everything under the sun.

itGeeks

I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I've been lurking and reading the forums, you guys definitely have a breadth of experience on here. I like how people mix enterprise with "hey it's good enough for home" - pretty much my style.

I dabble a bit in networking and servers, but at home it's more of a "what's best for here?".

Anyways, we are going to be hosting a workstation at home in addition to the home stuff. 

My question is what do you guys do for really fast WAN firewall wise? I just got AT&T GigaPower installed with symmetrical 1gbps (it's more like 900ish, but whatever) and I also have Cox 150/10mbps cable. Up until now it's just been the cable service, but the upload is really limiting our hosting and Plex capabilities. The network equipment is as follows:

WAN: AT&T GigaPower 1gbps fiber + Cox 150/10mbps cable. 

Firewall: SonicWALL NSA 2400

Switch: Dell PowerConnect 5524

Wireless: Ruckus ZoneDirector 1125, ZoneFlex R500, 7363, H500. Also AeroHive AP130 and Aruba IAP103. All POE injected - switch is coming upgrade

VM Host: PowerEdge R710 16gb/2x300gb(15k)/4x3TB running web host

Plex: i5 750 16gb 4x3TB FreeNAS - 2x1gb LAG to switch.

There are 4 PCs and will be 1 monster workstation crunching numbers later. 

Lots of ipads/laptops/phones/ps4/etc

So - I've hit the IPS limit on speed with the NSA2400. It hits a hard limit at 200mbps up/down no matter if IPS is on or off, no matter if we use SPI or DPI. It maxes out the dual core CPU and then it stops at 200mbps on speed tests. 

I'm looking at Sophos Home but haven't decided on the hardware yet. Many forums say use a dual core i3 with very high mhz since Snort is notoriously single threaded.

My architects at work tell me to just use Sophos home on mediocre hardware and just deal with multiple streams (multiple people will be fine). 

I kind of want to see a speed test with 900+mbps just for my own ego, but also understand that IPS at that level can be very expensive.

I like to use hardware we work with at work to keep my skills honed. I've also read a lot about pfsense and untangle. Depending on the learning curve I'm willing to try them out too. I need decent NAT and firewall + IPS. I also like to utilize older hardware (hence the NSA 2400, was an old unit we decommissioned). 

I've been scouring eBay and saw several UTM525s and 320s that I think you can use the home license on as a software appliance. I can also piece together something if need be - there are so many options. I don't want it super loud, the R710 is about the limit of noise I want. 

I'm going to try out a Check Point 3200 NGTX but it can't be permanent (demo only), and have used a Palo Alto PA-3020 (too damn loud, also a demo). 

I appreciate any advice you have, and will continue to read the threads down the line!

Nguyendot

1st let me welcome you to the forums!

You have a 1GB pipe into your home? Boy I am jealous, I have a 150/150 FiOs line and I thought I had bragging rites :) It does seem like you have done your homework because you are spot on with most of your findings such as Snort only being a single threaded application as of now and that's a big problem, It is 2016 and as demanding and popular as Snort is I don't for the life of me understand Y Snort is still only a single threaded application though from what I understand that will change soon thank god.

I respect LoneWolf & Drashna very much as we have all been a member of the HSS forums for a long time but I am going to take a different approach with Q&A and recommendations for you.

1st let me ask you have you been able to get your 1GB speeds by plugging a computer directly into AT&T equipment? That would be the first test as there are many things that could affect your internet speed.

2nd I have used all of the routers you are considering and I will give you my findings and thoughts below-

pfSense=a train wreck for administration

Sophos both UTM9 and XG=Will wreck havoc on a home network blocking streaming services to mobile devices as well as stopping some updates to devices such as printers and builds for anyone on the Windows Insider program as well as gaming consoles and many other things such as digital picture framed nest thermostats ect., Sophos UTM9 will allow you to create Regx rules that will allow you to fix most of this stuff but those same Regx rules will not work with Sophos XG. Plan and simple Sophos is not home network friendly and Sophos is proud of it. Yes there offer a home license but they have clearly stated that they are not a home product so be warned. Unless your willing to deal with the heavy footsteps cumming down the hall screaming this won't work and that won't work and your willing to bypass several devices from the powerful protection that Sophos offers then stay clear of it.

The new Untangle v12 is your friend for home networks, It now provides a very nice dashboard that is Customizable with real-time reports & great gateway protection & it wont break your network & Unlike Sophos Untangle is very interested in the home user and unlike Sophos they will provide you support via phone with there new home licensing offer of 50.00 a year for all you can eat. I am very happy with the performance and protection I am getting with Untangle on my home network. I must tell you I am very anal aka (OCD) about how my home network performance and protection so I would not recommend Untangle if it did not deliver in all arias.

As for hardware to run any of these 3 packages many folks are running these on hardware with a J1900 CPU and they claim they run great for a home network, One such device that has the J1900 CPU that I was going to purchase and install Untangle on if I had not decided to put Untangle on a VM was this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019Z8T9J0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=I15QGDT41IE5EU Max this out with 8GB of RAM and put a Samsung SSD Pro on it and call it a day. It has four Intel NIC's, That's the best for these routers, Broadcom would be 2nd and Realtek=Crap

Untangle also has a brand new u25 router for home/small busness but the RAM is only 2GB so if your wanting to use IPS I would stay away from it, If your not going to use IPS its a great device if you want plug & play though I think its still over priced. https://www.untangle.com/shop/u25-appliance/

Edited by itGeeks

nguyendot

Is that with IPS on? I've found that to be one of the biggest CPU hogs

Drashna Jaelre

Yeah, the "Decrypt and Scan" option of Sophos UTM can break streaming. 

Though, I've been having weird buffering issues with Youtube, with and without web filtering enabled.... So ... yay... 

As for hardware to run any of these 3 packages many folks are running these on hardware with a J1900 CPU and they claim they run great for a home network, One such device that has the J1900 CPU that I was going to purchase and install Untangle on if I had not decided to put Untangle on a VM was this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019Z8T9J0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=I15QGDT41IE5EU Max this out with 8GB of RAM and put a Samsung SSD Pro on it and call it a day. It has four Intel NIC's, That's the best for these routers, Broadcom would be 2nd and Realtek=Crap

As for that box, nice and neat, but it sure isn't rack mountable. :P

nguyendot

Whoops sorry, I was responding to pcdoc initially, but you got your post in first!

Anyways, yes I get about 900mbps +/- 10% so far. It's load balanced with my 150/10mbps cox line. I tested direct connected.

I'm pretty familiar with Sophos in almost every area except gig throughput. Even now with the NSA SonicWALL it blocks quite a few things. The Palo Alto is far worse than Sw and Sophos.

I'm going to try the Check Point 3200 and see too. It's newish to me and I've got an extended trial period with it. Did you have any experience with that? I'm still open to trying untangle too. I'll get a pizza box of and when it comes time to try it.

Edited by nguyendot

itGeeks

Is that with IPS on? I've found that to be one of the biggest CPU hogs

IPS with any of these three packages with use a lot of CPU because they all use Snort and as we all know or should know Snort is still a single threaded application though from what I understand this will be changing in the near future.

Yeah, the "Decrypt and Scan" option of Sophos UTM can break streaming. 

Though, I've been having weird buffering issues with Youtube, with and without web filtering enabled.... So ... yay... 

As for that box, nice and neat, but it sure isn't rack mountable. :P

That is what the make drills and dremels for :D

itGeeks

Whoops sorry, I was responding to pcdoc initially, but you got your post in first!

Anyways, yes I get about 900mbps +/- 10% so far. It's load balanced with my 150/10mbps cox line. I tested direct connected.

I'm pretty familiar with Sophos in almost every area except gig throughput. Even now with the NSA SonicWALL it blocks quite a few things. The Palo Alto is far worse than Sw and Sophos.

I'm going to try the Check Point 3200 and see too. It's newish to me and I've got an extended trial period with it. Did you have any experience with that? I'm still open to trying untangle too. I'll get a pizza box of and when it comes time to try it.

Try Untangle on my recommended hardware or install it on a VM and see what you think. I am very happy with Untangle as a router and protecting my network without breaking everything under the sun. You got many options from us, Please let us know how you make out and what you ended up using. OMG that Check Point 3200 is thousands of dollars, You don't need that for a home network no matter what your running. Just install Untangle and call it a day, You will have a great performing router with great protection at a cost of 50.00 a year and feel good about it.

Edited by itGeeks

nguyendot

I'll give it a try and see if it will hit gigabit. That's one of my goals. Check Point just partnered with the company I work for and they gave me some gear to try out. The 3200 is just a trial, but they will give a huge discount or maybe a hookup if I like it enough. Sophos is like a 60 or 70% discount. Their older UTMs can be had super cheap, like the 525 which will run just about anything.

I do have the r710 with esxi 6.x I will try untangle on too.