RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
VioSpeed

Dell R710 Server RAM Warning

VioSpeed

Hey guys, I got myself a refurbished Dell R710 server and it came with 24GB Hynix ECC RAM. I took those out and added 48GB Kingston RAM non ECC. Now during boot I'm getting 2 warnings and I must push F1 to continue or it won't boot any further. The 2 warnings I'm getting is 1 about non ECC RAM being installed and the other is that the thermal sensor not detected on DIMM A1, A2 etc in the DIMM's that ive installed my RAM.

I bought this server as a home lab so I'm not too fussed about ECC and DIMM thermal sensors so I would like to know can these warnings be turned off?

schoondoggy

I am surprised it boots with non-ECC memory. The chipset supports up to 288GB of RDIMM ECC or 24GB of UDIMM ECC memory.

The memory section starts on page 30 of the document linked above.

LoneWolf

I am surprised it boots with non-ECC memory. The chipset supports up to 288GB of RDIMM ECC or 24GB of UDIMM ECC memory.

The memory section starts on page 30 of the document linked above.

Ditto.  These are enterprise servers, and generally *require* ECC memory.  If it boots, the OP is very, very lucky.

When buying a server, *always* read the requirements for upgrades or full specs.  Because it's an R710, you could also probably get used RAM from eBay for okay prices, probably Dell OEM (which would come from a major vendor like Hynix, Samsung, Micron, or Elpida).  I wouldn't run an R710 without ECC memory; it might be unpredictable.

You may be able to disable the Halt on Errors in the BIOS.

Edited by LoneWolf

Drashna Jaelre

The chipset supports up to 288GB of RDIMM ECC or 24GB of UDIMM ECC memory.

Emphasis mine. 

Meaning that if it even does support non-ECC memory, it's only going to support 24GBs of non-ECC memory at most.

So basically, you're best off leaving the 24GBs of ECC memory in there.

nguyendot

Yeah mine currently runs with 16gbs of non ecc. It boots with the warning and I fully expect it. It's getting replaced pretty soon with some cheap eBay ram. Thank goodness for surplus quantities and pricing.

• Like 1

Drashna Jaelre

Yeah mine currently runs with 16gbs of non ecc. It boots with the warning and I fully expect it. It's getting replaced pretty soon with some cheap eBay ram. Thank goodness for surplus quantities and pricing.

Did that recently.  Registered ECC, 8x8GB. $100.  Totally worth it!

nguyendot

Looks like I'm gonna sell the rig. For like $500 you can get an R710 with like 96gbs!

• Like 1