RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Jochem

​ HP Microserver gen 8 fan speed - all you need to know

starbo

With my inlet ambient in the range of 20-23C (not accurate; my ambient temperature is for sure cooler than this) AHCI mode, SSD in bay 0 and 3x1TB WDs in bay 1-3 my fanspeed was in the range of 10-12%.

fans.thumb.jpg.004f469919150c20de7531dfbd083a6c.jpg5963981371b25_sensordata.jpg.686dc557d5d34f75d7acf29254945082.jpg

I disconnected the inlet temperature sensor as suggested above by Shonk (creating a reading of -1C) and now my fanspeed is 6%

5963990a329f6_temperatures(sensordisconnected).jpg.d8f3d48e818c8a422867af9c2d867ec4.jpg5963990287612_fan(sensordisconnected).thumb.jpg.e7833e28a762824c82cb670842042a8a.jpg

I would prefer that I didn't have to disconnect this sensor. The main reason I did it is that I felt it is poorly calibrated. If it showed  a more accurate reading then I would leave it attached and I guess my fan would be somewhere in between 6% and 10%.

Anyway this shows that 6% is possible with AHCI

tezray

Finally an answer shame I have a really high tdp cpu in mine now in the loft otherwise I would have left disconnected the sensor and left it in the front room good to know though

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

KLF

Today I replaced 2.5" HDD in the 5th slot with an SSD. Fan speed went down from 60% to 6%. 

I tried first two (identical) hard drives sourced from Lenovo laptops and both always showed hdd temp as 43C. With the SSD temp shows as 35C but the fan stays quiet. I would have rather used it in a laptop but this silence is a worthy sacrifice. 

buzurk

Reviving an old thread here but did anyone have any luck

Ive had mine running with an SSD in the ODD bay and 2x 2tb sata in bays 3 and 4 (only 3gbps drives) with vmware 6.7 hp version and fans were always under 15%

i just added two 256gb sata6 SSD drives to bays 1 and 2 and configured in RAID0 and now my fan speed once booted into esxi (hp custom image with hp agents) is at 70%

have i missed something here?

schoondoggy

Ive had mine running with an SSD in the ODD bay and 2x 2tb sata in bays 3 and 4 (only 3gbps drives) with vmware 6.7 hp version and fans were always under 15%

i just added two 256gb sata6 SSD drives to bays 1 and 2 and configured in RAID0 and now my fan speed once booted into esxi (hp custom image with hp agents) is at 70%

Just guessing, but some SSD do not have temp sensing, if iLO does not see a temp reading it speeds up the fans.

netware5
4 hours ago, buzurk said:

Please post here the readings of temperature sensors from iLO.

woll-knaeuel

I did use this forum to get news and information about the HP Gen8 microserver since a couple of years.
Today I came accross the following thread which might be an interesting solution for all of you who are still facing the fan issue (like me). I am using the Gen8 with the B120i in AHCI mode where iLo is unable to read HD max.

Silence of the fans: Preliminary success with muffling iLO's control of my DL380p G8 fans