RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Jochem

​ HP Microserver gen 8 fan speed - all you need to know

saq

I did the fake out the fan trick the other day as seen here. http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7294-faking-the-fan-signal/?p=79985

Option #2 - Wiring for no fan where you just bridge pins 4-5-6 to bypass the fan rotation protection and then I hooked up a high performance quiet fan and the system is quiet and cool! Way better than messing with the magical factors to trick the server into running a low fan speed.

Here is the fan I used: https://www.amazon.com/EK-VARDAR-1450RPM-HIGH-STATIC-Pressure-Computer/dp/B00SIZHZPC

Has anyone replaced the 40mm fan in the PSU or replaced the PSU with one that has a quieter fan? It does not have a very good noise signature.

GoNz0

Has anyone replaced the 40mm fan in the PSU or replaced the PSU with one that has a quieter fan? It does not have a very good noise signature.

I did that to my Thecus NAS years ago with good results, as it is a constant fan in the Thecus you could happily go for a quieter fan and not worry as the ambient temps never high enough to cause a problem.

tezray

I am running Windows 10 and my inlet is 27c at the moment and 31 percent fan I am going to move it again to somewhere more open

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edited by tezray

Shonk

Its quite warm here today inlet is 24 and my fan is 14%

My Asus RT-AC88U's CPU is usually around 72 its at 80 today

Edited by Shonk

saq

After a lot more effort than I care to admit, my microserver gen8 is nearly silent.

To get the main fan quieter I have an EK Vardar F3-120 with a noctua low span feed adapter that puts it at about 1200rpm, this is a very quiet setup. To keep the server from hitting tripping the main fan rotary fault I bridged the motherboard fan header pins 4-5-6 as seen here as option 2: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7294-faking-the-fan-signal/?p=79985

To get the PSU quieter I replaced it with a Seasonic SS250SU, which has a thermally controlled fan set for low noise at low PSU utilization. It fits in perfectly even with the SDM over the retention bracket! See here: https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-250SU-80Plus-Server-Supply/dp/B004VP6YGY

The loudest part of my microserver now is a slightly older 1tb wd pro nas drive, iirc its 7200rpm and was of a model that was not designed to be quiet at all but more for server work. Its significantly louder than a WD RED 4tb that I have right next to it.

Jochem

UPDATE of first post

After creating this thread, there have been some comments about low fan speeds even in the case of AHCI and not B120i RAID usage. After looking at the data, i think the first post still holds with the following change:

Original text:

Minimum fan speed is different depending on the choice for AHCI (minimum around 14%) or RAID settings (minimum around 6%).

New text:

Minimum fan speed at room temperature is different depending on the choice for AHCI (minimum around 14%) or RAID settings (minimum around 6%).

Added note: When inlet temperatures get lower, AHCI configurations also reach low fan speeds of about 7% at around 16C.

• Like 1

Shonk

There's a way to bypass all this in ahci mode btw

pull inlet sensor cable (reports inlet -1 when disconnected)

results in 6% fan speed if all other temp sensor's are low enough

Edited by Shonk
  • Like 2

spacecake

There's a way to bypass all this in ahci mode btw

pull inlet sensor cable (reports inlet -1 when disconnected)

results in 6% fan speed if all other temp sensor's are low enough

Thank you !

This is the best option until now that I read, for reducing the main fan in AHCI mode..

Although is still in progress, for my projects, Arduino connected to other fans (4x 5-12v) is going to take care of the .  

Edited by spacecake

starbo

I spent several hours troubleshooting this...my fan would not go below 25% which is quite audible. Not 'loud' but for sure more than I can tolerate in the living room.

I tried the usual suggestions -  RAID mode, creating RAID 0 array for one disk, trying different OS, installing HP special management drivers etc.

In the end it turned out to be 01-inlet ambient. It was saying 29C which was clearly not correct, my room temperature is maybe 13C today. I fished around inside and the sensor was very close to the motherboard. There is an eyelet and rubber grommet which is supposed to suspend the sensor near the SAS port but it had not be installed correctly, or had come loose. Moving the sensor to the correct place gave me an inlet ambient of 23C and fan speed of 13%. In Win10, AHCI mode. Much more tolerable noise level.

23C is still not correct (I wish it was 23C today!) so the sensor is miscalibrated or has a wide manufacturing tolerance. I think this is why there is such a wide range of fan speeds reported by users.

miodzicho

Hi All

I'm just loosing hairs to get fan running lower as 42% . 120i is in RAID, with one SSD on port 5 showing HD Max in ILO.

But still have fan rotation around 40%.

I also have installed P212 with 3 SSD's so not much heat inside. Any help will be greatly appreciated !

2017-06-29 12_42_00-W10VR (10.36.91.106) - Remote Desktop Connection Manager v2.7.jpg