RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Blank/Blue Screen in Console?

diggityDawg

I'm getting the blue/blank screen when I launch the WHS console nearly every time. The only way I've been able to get the console back is to reboot the MSS. I've tried resetting the console, that didn't help. Then I tried remoting into the MSS and running the console there first. It ran just fine, but when I logged out of the remote session and relaunched the console from my desktop I still get the blue screen. I uninstalled a couple of the addins I had and now only have Advanced Admin Console and WHS Toolkit 1.1 installed.

Here's my config:

• EX490
  • 4 internal drives
  • 4 external drives in a eSATA enclosure
  • All drives show as HEALTHY
  • Directly connected to gigabit router (wired network)
  • Addins installed: Advanced Admin, WHS Toolkit

I do run Playon and sabnzbd on the server, but even when I turn those off I still get the blue screen. It's driving me nuts... I called support and they recommend a server recovery. Haven't done that yet, hoping there's a simpler solution...?

I had a EX485 for a little over a year and this happened sporadically, but not for the last 6 months or so, and I had the same exact software installed on that server.

Does anyone have any solution for this? I hate to keep rebooting the server just to get the console to load...

Thanks!

Eddie

WHS_Blue_screen.png

When you rdp into the server, pull up Task Manager and then look at the users tab. The times that I've had problems in the past is when there was an old session logged in and for some reason it wasn't reconnecting to or, or releasing the slot for a new connection. Remember to log off when you close the RDP session too, not just hit the 'x'.

When you go into the task manager via the RDP session on your WHS find the processes called 'HomeServerConsole' and kill it. Then go back to your desktop and try the console again.

When you rdp into the server, pull up Task Manager and then look at the users tab. ... Remember to log off when you close the RDP session too, not just hit the 'x'.

THANK YOU!

I thought it had something to do with orphaned remote sessions, but I couldn't remember how to specifically close it... There was no HomeServerConsole process running, but there was a Disconnected remote session, so I just logged that one off and the console came up fine on my desktop.

I do always log off using the Log Off command in the Start menu, so not sure why it keeps leaving this abandoned session on there, but at least now I know how to fix it!

The console connecting (from another computer) is actually just creating a specifically-formatted RDP session. You can see that if you log in via rdp, look at the users tab, and then start up a console. You'll see it initiate the session. That could be interesting to also see whether it logs off the session when you close the console, and also the "reset the WHS session" option. Let us know.

I haven't seen this problem on any of the home brew boxes I have built but I will sure print this out and keep in my book of "now what the heck do I do"

TY goos stuff

this is great info. I had this happen last week: ended up crashing the server and rebooting, not something I like to do of course. This should reduce the number of Tums I consume :)