Trig0r

Hyper-V 2016, USB pass through?!

Trig0r

Seriously, still no support for this?!

We've got an old 2008 box here that runs some CCTV stuff that requires a dongle, the machines about on its last legs, so I was thinking about virtualising it but dont want to have to USB/LAN as its an extra point of failure, and I've not tested the software supports it yet...

2016 will be the 4th version (?) of Hyper-V, yet something this simple doesnt work yet, theres got to be a damned good reason for it surely given you can pass GPU's and other stuff through, you can do it via RDP, but not in Hyper-V itself....

Drashna Jaelre

Because I suspect that USB passthrough is a very, very edge case, especially for HyperV's target audience. 

Though, you *may* be able to pass through a PCIe USB controller... so that may work. 

GotNoTime

USB passthrough of individual devices isn't easy. vSphere kind of supports it but expect it to be extremely quirky and only work on specific devices. I'm not surprised that Hyper-V doesn't do it as it is such a mess on vSphere.

Hyper-V 2016 adds Discrete Device Assignment now which allows you to passthrough some PCIe devices to a VM. The issue is that it has to fit some very specific criteria to work. USB 3 controllers might be possible but older ones are probably not going to work.

Edited by GotNoTime

Trig0r

Might have to try a USB card if I can find one that supported..

For now I'm going to try a USB Ethernet device, not holding my breath though..

Gmb1986

It is a major missing feature but as other's have said it isn't exactly great on VMWare.

Not sure what you mean about Hyper-V's target market. It has improved significantly in 2012 R2 compared to 2008/R2 and is winning ground over VMWare in some circumstances. 

Drashna Jaelre

Not sure what you mean about Hyper-V's target market. It has improved significantly in 2012 R2 compared to 2008/R2 and is winning ground over VMWare in some circumstances. 

Have you seen the 2016 version? Docker support. 

And have you taken a look at nano server (so much UI striped out, that the login screen is text based) 

Microsoft's making a serious push to make Hyper-V a major contender for hypervisors and servers. 

buzzinh

I have used this before to pass through USB to VMs on Hyper-V. Pretty cool bit of software but would require a second machine to act as usb server.

https://www.virtualhere.com/

Edited by buzzinh

eddie563

i recently just returned from a 4 year visit to somewhere sandy with NATO.

i was responsible for VMware and Storage and my VMware cluster was huge. we too had a piece of software that was running on a DL360 G1 and it could not be virtualised due to the licensing dongle. i did a bit of research on the VMware forums and THIS kept popping up over and over.

i went for the 2 port version. plugged it into a switch that all hosts were connected to and suddenly my VM could be virtualised and HA/DRS was not an issue. yes its a SPOF but they are that cheap that you could by a standby kit that is configured with the same details rather than having to rebuild a full CCTV system if you have a catastrophic failure.

short of it is, plug it in, give it an IP, install a driver in the VM and configure that driver to connect to the IP previously configured. job done. simple, cheap and very very effective for getting more of your estate virtualised.

Albert Faller

Basically, the most inconvenient thing about Hyper-V platform for me that does not provide USB pass-through support out of the box. I’ve learned lots tricks that might help deal with it. One of the best for me – USB redirector software like USB over Ethernet.