RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Travel Router - Hotel WIFI

cskenney

Last year I purchase a small TP-Link travel router that I used at hotels when travelling with my family.  I could plug in the router to the hotel ethernet jump on my phone and then register the router as my device that was connected to the hotel network.  My family could then all connect to our router (already configured in everyone's devices) and we were all able to use the internet as needed.

This time when we traveled the two hotels we stayed at did not have an ethernet jack in the room.  The only way to connect to the hotel was thru their WIFI.

I still want to ability to have a router that my family uses and I want that router to be able to connect to the hotel WIFI.

Anyone doing this?  Recommended hardware?

I don't want to bridge because I want my families devices all behind the router with the hotel only seeing the router.  I hope this makes sense.

A cheap Mikrotik Routerboard can do it but its very much Cisco Enterprise level of userfriendly configuration. They're very powerful and cheap but the documentation assumes you're a networking expert already.

I assume a suitable modern OpenWRT capable router would also be able to do it but I've no idea how to configure one.

The easiest way to do it would just be to have two radios though and your family just connects on to the 5GHz SSID.

I want to make it as "simple" and painless as possible.  One thought it to actually have two of these small travel routers.  One would act as a wireless client to the hotel WIFI and I would run an ethernet cable from the client into the router.  The router then would function like I expect (since it requires the ethernet connection).  Hotel WIFI usually isn't the fastest so I am not worried about multiple devices using this system.

Seems silly to use two devices for this but it provides two radios that are working independently.

I am sure there are devices out there that do this.

Edit:  looks like this guy figured out how to do it with DD-WRT http://www.shekhargovindarajan.com/tips-n-tricks/dd-wrt-share-hotels-limited-wifi-with-unlimited-devices/

Are you sure your travel router isn't able to do this wirelessly? I use this D-Link travel router and I can connect to the hotel network either via ethernet or WiFi and rebroadcast either as my personal LAN. No need for two devices in this case.

So I actually have a solution but it doesn't work the best.  I have a Seagate wireless plus mobile hard drive.  It has built in WIFI and can actually connect to WIFI and provide router function to a LAN.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQRUW4Q/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687522&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00PZZZA6E&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=T7831M2156FC1XEHM56R

It works OK but I have hard some trouble with it not being responsive and getting bogged down if someone is accessing the hard drive.  Just looking for other options.

Are you sure your travel router isn't able to do this wirelessly? I use this D-Link travel router and I can connect to the hotel network either via ethernet or WiFi and rebroadcast either as my personal LAN. No need for two devices in this case.

I wish I could find a solution for this that wasn't $100.

A cheap Mikrotik Routerboard can do it but its very much Cisco Enterprise level of userfriendly configuration. They're very powerful and cheap but the documentation assumes you're a networking expert already.

I assume a suitable modern OpenWRT capable router would also be able to do it but I've no idea how to configure one.

The easiest way to do it would just be to have two radios though and your family just connects on to the 5GHz SSID.

+1 on Mikrotik.