RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Plex Media Server Coming Soon to NVIDIA SHIELD PRO (and Std)

itGeeks

This is great news for anyone not wanting to keep a dedicated PC on 24 hours a day. NVIDIA SHIELD is a low powered device that provides hardware trans-coding for all your media stored on the internal 500GB of storage a USB drive and YES even a network share :) I am personally very excited about this news and I have a new home for two of these already. Anyone here using the NVIDIA SHIELD already?

https://shield.nvidia.com/android-tv/media-server

https://shield.nvidia.com/support/nvidia-android-tv/faq/1#plex

update: Just to clear up the title, Plex media server will be available on the none Pro version of SHIELD also. 

Edited by itGeeks

Just so there is no confusion it looks like the Plex server capability is only in the Shield PRO ($299).  The Shield ($179) is a Plex player only in addition to the other apps like Netflix, etc.

Not so sure I would consider either device low cost but that is just me.

If you already have a NAS that has a Plex server (like my QNAP) then this offers me no benefit.  I can also use a Amazon fireTV stick or FireTv to act as a Plex player.

Just so there is no confusion it looks like the Plex server capability is only in the Shield PRO ($299).  The Shield ($179) is a Plex player only in addition to the other apps like Netflix, etc.

Not so sure I would consider either device low cost but that is just me.

If you already have a NAS that has a Plex server (like my QNAP) then this offers me no benefit.  I can also use a Amazon fireTV stick or FireTv to act as a Plex player.

Chris I thought so to but Plex media server is also available on the none pro version of SHIELD, Please read the FAQ's https://shield.nvidia.com/support/nvidia-android-tv/faq/1#plex

For 228.00 with voice activated remote you can have a very nice device to use as the media front-end while at the same time have a powerful Plex media server that is powerful enough to handle 1080p trans-coding. This is a great option if your movies are in MKV's and you rely on Plex doing real-time trans-coding. If all your media is in the proper container to play to your devices not requiring real-time trans-coding then yes a low powered NAS will handle the Plex media server just fine.

Edited by itGeeks

They need to work on their marketing.  They specifically are advertising the Shield PRO with the Plex media server capability and no mention of the same capability in the non-PRO version.  However, it appears you are correct based on their FAQ.

They need to work on their marketing.  They specifically are advertising the Shield PRO with the Plex media server capability and no mention of the same capability in the non-PRO version.  However, it appears you are correct based on their FAQ.

I agree with you 100% and that's y the subject line of my post had 'Pro" in it, After I posted this I was reading the FAQ and found out it was also the none 'Pro' version that supports Plex media server. NVIDIA should be ashamed by this. This is a case where we need to read the fine print. Could you please edit my subject line for this post to either say for both the Pro & none pro units are just take Pro out?

Yes, non-pro is supported too, so you can plug a big external hard drive in. 

Another thing, using the Shield as the DVR is also now supported in both pro and non-pro versions. 

Heck yes I have Shields, I've been bragging about how great they are here for a while. :)

• Like 2

Yes, non-pro is supported too, so you can plug a big external hard drive in. 

Another thing, using the Shield as the DVR is also now supported in both pro and non-pro versions. 

Heck yes I have Shields, I've been bragging about how great they are here for a while. :)

The Android Central podcast brags about the Shield as well. 

I maintain the original folder rip of my DVD's and then automatically convert to mp4 so Plex can play the film.

Can shield natively play folder rips? The mp4 rips don't look bad, but I would assume full folder rips with 4x the

data would look better. 

One thing you must understand, is that the playback is limited by the application you choose, not by the device, just like an HTPC. 

Plex will absolutely not play TS_Video folders.

Kodi is supposed to, but when I tried I got stuck on the main menu with no way to navigate. Same with SPMC (Kodi fork - better than Kodi)

I don't know about Emby, I never tried it.

I convert all my DVDs and BDs to MKVs using MakeMKV and put them on my Plex server. Then, I use Plex or SPMC to play them back.

MKVs have ALL the data, just like a folder rip. Just no menus.

How is it used as a DVR and where does it get the content to record?

You use an application called HDHR View which has the server component. It gets the content from your HDHomeRun tuner(s). 

http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/

SiliconDust did just mention to wait for the next update which is going to drop pretty soon. They found a >2GB bug in the current version.

NOTE: if you are a cable user, DRM is still not supported for recordings, only viewing.

Edited by RobbieH

I have 4 TV's and several other devices that are constantly streaming from my Plex Server. I just don't think this would come close to the flawless speed and transcoding I have on my network. All the TV's are on Roku3 and I love it.

RobbieH,

Do you have the paid version of Make MKV? If so does it work well?