RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP MS Gen8 G1610T + WS 2012 R2 + Hyper-V?

E3000

Hey guys,

I know a lot of people around here upgrade the CPU to allow their Gen8 MicroServer to virtualise, but I just wanted to know if it's possible to run a single instance of Hyper-V from inside Windows Server 2012 R2 using the default CPU?

I have mostly been playing about with and learning Server 2012, as well as using it for file storage, NAS, Plex etc and so far it's been fantastic (much better than G7 which struggled to transcode). I thought I'd try having Essentials in a VM, and haven't upgraded the CPU as yet (and probably won't until the warranty period is over, as so far it's fine for everything I'm using it for).

I can't tell if this is a silly question or not haha, but is it possible? Do they require specific CPU features?

Yes it is possible, I have 2 friends that I managed to get off of NAS boxes and onto Microservers, both have added extra ram but both are running the G1610T with a single VM on Hyper-V running Plex..

• Like 1

Yes it is possible, I have 2 friends that I managed to get off of NAS boxes and onto Microservers, both have added extra ram but both are running the G1610T with a single VM on Hyper-V running Plex..

Nice :) and does it run fine? What OSs are they using?

No, the main NIC's are teamed and the other is for iLO only.

That means all 3 are in use!? Does teaming make it go faster? I seem to remember the speed not being as fast as G7 was, although I didn't investigate it further. I haven't had a chance to play with it for a while, hence all the questions instead of trial and error :)

I team them, basically because I can, neither user is probably hitting close to the limits on the card but from my POV, once they have left my care and are being used and moved as people move stuff about its easier to have them teamed just in case they plug the wrong cable in or something..

• Like 1