RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Installing Zune 4.X on WHS

PeterK70

It looks like Microsoft did it again.

I'm a new Zune HD user for the last few weeks. I installed the Zune client to my Windows 7 laptop, but now I'd like to move it to WHS, because I don't have my laptop online all of the time (but WHS sure is).

So I followed this procedure:

http://homeservershow.com/installing-zune-4-0-on-whs.html

But the problem is that the new Zune client (I guess 4.5) can only Install on Windows XP SP2. Yes. I set the compatibility to Windows XP but that's not good enough. I'm not doing this every day, does someone have a hint or that's impossible to install now?

Thank you for any info that you can give me.

Edited by PeterK70

yeah, I get a update for my 4.? build but it won't install automatically because it's not a XP machine. If I can get my hands on the latest version, I'd try and hack it for you. I just can't find it.

I wasn't able to install up from 4.0, IIRC. I've sinced pulled it off my WHS and put it on my work laptop (which is on every day). *shrug*

Oh thank you guys for your feedback. Now I see I'm not alone with this problem.

One of the additional reasons I'd like to have it on WHS is also that I'd like to centralize all of my data at the WHS so I could access it from anywhere. Also from a TV (using HTPC). All of the computers I (we) have in the house would be just clients to the WHS. This is also why I installed 1GBit network in our house.