RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New ML10v2 Initial Hardware Upgrades

Javelin

Just scored a ML10v2 for $200 AUD Delievered from Wireless1.com.au

Nearly got a ML30e for $800 AUD with 10GB Ram but thought I'd take the other deal as removable hard drives caddies is about all it would offer me. Which I cant justify the extra cost.

So I'm looking at upgrades now will re use old server ram to boost the initial 4gb. Or look at the Kingston stuff posted in other thread but definitely don't need 32 maybe 16.

It's Primary functions as a server will be running EMBY transcodes, housing all my media for HTPC Kodi, Blue Iris NVR and running HDHomeRun for TV. Maybe some video re encoding. Drive pooling using drive bender which I have a licence already.

Looking just to run Windows 10 Pro as I don't think I will benefit from a server OS.

What is the best Xeon performance for dollar atm? Looking around on ebay E3 1270 looks like the sweet spot atm anyone found anything else?

Will probably re use old graphics card unless anyone's had success with something really nice? I know the PCIe  Bus is limited to 8x lanes.

Been looking at these for drive upgrades

ExpressCage MB322SP-B  Confirmed working.

CP011 3 Bay 3.5” SATA HDD Docking Rack for 2 x 5.25” Bay    Not sure about this one?

But to get these working im guessing I need atleast a HP Smart Aray P420 these are nearly $400 AUD in Australia....  nearly double the price of the server....  

Is there a cheaper Option available?

Edited by Javelin

Having no Luck getting the drivers to show up with SSP.

Windows 10 wont find driver for the SSD to show up.

Unsure how to manually install them.

Having no Luck getting the drivers to show up with SSP.

Windows 10 wont find driver for the SSD to show up.

Unsure how to manually install them.

There are no Windows 10 drivers, you need to use WS2012r2 drivers. Where do you have the SSD connected? Are you using AHCI or B120i?

In Drive 1 B120i atm just figured out I had to Create an array. Ontop of enabling the Raid0 for one drive.

Would AHCI be better if I only plan on using one SSD for the time being. 

From what I read there is little real world benefit of SSDx2 Raid0 or is this different for this server and our demand cases?

Switching to ACHI and Windows 10 finding the SDD drive straight away... Not sure what happend there and why the raid card wasnt working.

Thanks for the recommendations.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided after reading here I'll go with this cage up the top.

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/214749/HDD_ADAPTERS_DOCKS/Icydock/MB994SP-4S.asp

Will these 2.5inch hard drives be ok to use with it. They are nearly same cost per gb.

4TB Samsung Momentus ST4000LM016 2.5

Will pool them with drivebender, I heard they are bad for small file size copying but I mainly store 25gb and 1gb movie and tv show files.

Switching to ACHI and Windows 10 finding the SDD drive straight away... Not sure what happend there and why the raid card wasnt working.

Thanks for the recommendations.

AHCI does not need a driver, so it will load straight from the Windows 10 install.