RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Basement Stair Rack Project - Node Zero

Dalchi Frusche

Bear with me as this project will span some time.

So I’ve been playing around with servers in my free time(which isn’t much) and finally decided it’s high time to get my house wired up properly. It’s also helpful now that I actually own a house that I can modify to my liking.

So here’s the current mockup of what I’m heading towards.

NZ new Layout.jpg

On the left side, the two 2x4s are spaced just over 21” apart, this is close to what I need but just a bit too much. I’m going to have to install a spacer to reach the proper 19” width of my rack. On the right side is just enough space between the studs to install slide out shelves to hold up to 2 ATX tower cases. Until I start acquiring actual server boxes, this will be my server platform.

The Plan:

- Wire the house with CAT 6 cable to enable connectivity growth for present and future applications.

- Build stationary rack and tower case shelves using existing framework of staircase to basement.

- Purchase a quad or dual NIC to finish PFSense build and get it configured/installed.

- Purchase patch panel and switch - DONE

- Set Wireless router to AP mode, check old router for same functionality.

- Move file/backup server to sliding shelf.

- Move PFSense build to second sliding shelf

- Run coax cable from cable box to modem in basement

- Purchase remaining Node Zero equipment.

- Install NZ equipment.

- Install PLEX server on old laptop - DONE

- Purchase ChromeCast for living room TV.

Materials:

Have

- File/Backup server in Full Tower ATX case Link: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11213-humble-ubuntu-backup/

- PFSense build(minus quad NIC) in mATX eMachines case Link: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11215-pfsense-build/

- Sliding Shelves Hardware and wood for shelves

- Netgear AC Wireless Router

- TP-LINK 5 port switch

- 24 port patch panel

- Netgear Wireless Extender

- Old ASUS laptop to use as media server

- Surge protection power strip

- D-Link 8 port gigabit switch

- 1000’ CAT 6 solid copper cable

- CAT 6 wall plates and jacks: have drops for office and living room(tv)

- CAT 6 patch cables .5 to 3 feet length

- 20’ of 1 ¼”Conduit

- 2 wall boxes(rough in sheetrock type)

Need(list will continue to grow/shrink as planning continues)

- 24 port gigabit switch

- Rack rails

- 2x4s to finish rack structure(have some leftover from wife’s craft desk)

- 4+ device KVM(USB)

- Slide out rack tray: Keyboard/mouse

- UPS Power Distribution

Well it’s that time to pull the trigger on some wiring supplies with my “birthday” budget. So, I’ll be waiting for my Monoprice and Newegg orders to arrive. I lost some of my budget since I finally upgraded my GPU to an EVGA GTX 670 that I obtained for $60 USD.

Materials ordered:

Monoprice

MonoPriceReciept.JPG

Newegg

NeweggSwitch.JPG

So once that all arrives I can get to running cables. I do still need to pick up the wall boxes and conduit from Lowes. But I’ll wait until the heat from going over my budget dies down a bit haha.

So I’m getting closer to figuring out my cooling solution. It’ll go something like this I imagine:

12”x12”-> 6” intake, 6” duct fan(~250CFM), 6”duct, box made from fiberglass/plywood

Air Flow Diagram.jpg

Speaking of getting things done….. my wife’s ultimatum was I couldn’t work on anything for Node Zero unless I finish her craft desk. So…. I give you her craft table/desk.  Hopefully it’ll help her forget I went over budget.

IMG_0882.JPG

I received packages for node zero.

First to arrive was my tiny 8 port Gigabit switch(this of course will get upgraded to something like a 24 port in the future when more cable runs are needed. DVD for reference.

IMG_0867.JPG

Second was the marvelous packages from Monoprice.com *flex* Patch cables on top were picked up for $.75 at a thrift store in new condition.

IMG_0870.JPG

First package held my 24 port patch panel, 6 inch patch cables, wall plates and keystone jacks for my first 2 runs( 1 to Family room(TV), 1 to Office) . Like an idiot I ordered a punchdown tool from China off Ebay. After stressing about it not arriving for another month, I was happy to find they included the same tool with the patch panel!

IMG_0871.JPG

Second package is my lovely box of red CAT 6 cable. A thousand feet of cable running glory.

IMG_0872.JPG

That’s all I have for today…… hopefully I won’t have to wait for the next holiday to get these cables ran.  Well, that’s all the time I have right now. Stay tuned for updates as I get this planned out more detailed.

Edited by Dalchi Frusche
  • Like 1
jmwills

You might want to think something as simple as a bathroom exhaust fan to help with the cooling.

GavinCampbell

Great read.  I just bought a new home and was planning to get all networking done and run to the basement.  This gives me a number of ideas as I have a similar spot under the stairs.  Even though its a few months away I can start planning from now.

Dragon_Void

This is pretty cool. Following your progress. I don't have a basement, but it would have been cool if i could do something like this.

Dalchi Frusche

You might want to think something as simple as a bathroom exhaust fan to help with the cooling.

To help cut costs, I'm looking out for a broken window A/C unit that I can steal the fan from.  Then in conjunction with a fan controller/temp inline unit, it'll work nicely.  Worse case there's a couple inline duct fans that will slip in nicely with built in controllers that are under $100.

Great read.  I just bought a new home and was planning to get all networking done and run to the basement.  This gives me a number of ideas as I have a similar spot under the stairs.  Even though its a few months away I can start planning from now.

Glad I could help spark the creativity.  I think the hardest part for me currently is figuring out if I can run the cables through the stairway walls, or if I have to run some conduit through the coat/nursery closets to give me the basement to attic space I need.  My hope is I can find a nook in the stairway walls to run the conduit instead to save a lot of cable since it would drop down straight to the patch panel.  My father in law has 4 days off from work this weekend so hopefully I can recruit him to run the conduit for me.

As for planning, the more up front planning and measuring you do, the less last minute redesigns that happen :)

This is pretty cool. Following your progress. I don't have a basement, but it would have been cool if i could do something like this.

Luckily for me, my wife has a phobia of bad storms and tornadoes and insisted that we had one.  Thanks for following all, I hope not to disappoint.