RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

AHCI necessary to RAID from software?

pEEps

Hey guys,

Finally I decided to make a RAID5 from software, because P222 is so expensive and I just want to try it initially. I installed OMV to check if I can see my HDDs but they don't. My question is if I need to change BIOS to AHCI or it is another different issue.

Thanks!

No one?  :ph34r:

I can't test it because right now I have all my HHDs almost full so I can't make a backup (still no enough backup HDDs). 

In general, AHCI is the best for software RAID or drive pooling, but the Gen8 does not boot from the ODD port AHCI. You need to use a boot loader. You can use the B120i and boot from the ODD port, but you would need to set every drive as a single drive RAID0.

the Gen8 does not boot from the ODD port AHCI.

I also thought, but my msg8 boots from SSD-ODD in AHCI mode. Internal bays connected to external SAS HBA.

Yes, you can boot from the ODD port in AHCI if there are no other drives connected to the onboard controller. What HBA are you using? If you are not going to use the onboard controller for anything else, you could connect a SFF-8087 to SATA cable to it and run your SSD on Port 1. That way it will run at SATAIII speed.

I have my OS on an SSD in the ODD Bay in a r0 set, then 2 x 4TB SATA drives in bays 1 and 2.

Centos 7 boots from the ODD SSD and can see the two 4TB drives individually.

No HP Drivers loaded.

In general, AHCI is the best for software RAID or drive pooling, but the Gen8 does not boot from the ODD port AHCI. You need to use a boot loader. You can use the B120i and boot from the ODD port, but you would need to set every drive as a single drive RAID0.

Can you explain this? Which bootloader?

Thanks!