RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Introductions/concerns/lost/do you offer counselling?

whereami?

Evening all!

The reason why I have joined is simply because this forum seems like its pretty active with regards to the Microserver.  I was informed of a deal recently for a Microserver with 16GB of RAM and thus it lit a spark.  The only issue being is that every time I nearly buy the thing something crops up and I'm left back in a position as if it isn't to be.  I wish to avail of your knowledge and thus I'd like to as some questions if I may in an attempt to hopefully bring this to a close?

• I've noticed the default CPU is quite weak and thus I plan to upgrade it to an E3-1220.
  • I plan to run ESXi on it with about 4/5 VMs (Windows/Linux).
  • I wish to add a four port NIC to the device.
  • I'm starting off with two WD Black drives and placing them in a RAID configuration.

Do you foresee any issues with the above?

Thanks in advance!

I do apologise that this is my first post however I'm really at a loss.  I do envisage to be an active member of the forum unless the Microserver takes up my time....

Personally if you plan to upgrade to a xeon and a 4 port nic I would go with something else like a Dell T20. Ram can be found cheap I got 16gb for £20 used just need to look about. The fan in the microserver makes me wish I never bought it. It is so unpredictable if it is quiet you are lucky if you plan on keeping it in a cupboard fine but otherwise it annoys me so much. The Dell has a newer xeon cpu the gen8 cpus are expensive if you want xeon it all depends on where you want the server. People love the gen8 but I have become to hate it too much hassle the Dell can have 32gb ram if needed if 16gb is not enough for 4-5 vms

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

So I bit the bullet, threw caution to the wind, whatever you want to call it, I bought it.

I can't seem to edit my posts - excuse my multi-posting.

biggest issue is the Gen8 only supports a max of 16GB RAM...

depends which Gen you purchase, 1610, 3240 or Xeon E3-1220L v2 (although 1610 with cashback, and upgrade processor yourself is cheaper!)

4/5 VMs would be very tight, unless all Linux, if Windows VMs, 16GB will disappear fast, and also remember the Hypervisor, uses some RAM as well.

do you need four nics ?, it does come with two nics in the mobo. (oh you've bought it so moot!)

There are some better processors available depends on your budget, and what TDP, and whether you want Xeon or Core i3/i5

Edited by einsteinagogo

Well I've been able to find an E3-1220 (first version) sub £70 therefore it's right in there for my budget at the second.  My birthday is coming up and there are a few LGA1155 Xeons on eBay that have hypterthreading and a lower TDP; might see if I can put it on my wishlist!  

Indeed, I was never expecting blazing fast performance but rather using it as a tool for learning both ESXi and Windows Server.  The reason why I went ahead and bought it yesterday was due to the fact that here http://hackingaway.org/small-esxi/the guy has similar specs (RAM, maybe not CPU) and somehow gets by with 30 VMs - he even powered on 24 without issue but he does reference that only 6/8 were active at any one time.  Obviously it's not an apples to apples comparison but is at least somewhat similar.

I bought the card simply because I wanted to play with hardware pass through and 'advanced' networking in ESXi.  A RAID card is quite a bit more expensive than £25.  So for me, that was a perfect choice.

Edited by whereami?

You could build a clustered 250 Node Cluster in the cloud, if you want to learn....

far more resources available.

I could.  But I'm now in too deep it seems!

Would there be any reason as to why the V1 LGA1155 E3 Xeons wouldn't work in the Microserver Gen8?

I could.  But I'm now in too deep it seems!

Would there be any reason as to why the V1 LGA1155 E3 Xeons wouldn't work in the Microserver Gen8?

they work, the v1s typically are higher TDPs, compared to v2, but are much cheaper on eBay.

A number on this forum have used v1s, e.g. E3-1270 v1

Just remember, that your PSU to drive all this stuff, CPU, Hard Drives, Memory, PCI card, is only 200 watts max.