RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Lap the heatsink for E3-1220 V2? TDP involved

pEEps

Hi pEEps

How is it going with E3-1220 V2 ? Extra fans ?

so it on eBay.fr for 100eu, considering for the upgrade from I3 3240.. VT would be nice :)

I see a lot of worrying over nothing from many people. My G8 is running without any extra fans and only a bit of ducting to ensure all of the exhausted air goes across the CPU heatsink, and that's with an E3 1290v2. The temperatures stay well within spec even under load, and the machine has been running for months as my OpenStack toy lab.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I see a lot of worrying over nothing from many people. My G8 is running without any extra fans and only a bit of ducting to ensure all of the exhausted air goes across the CPU heatsink, and that's with an E3 1290v2. The temperatures stay well within spec even under load, and the machine has been running for months as my OpenStack toy lab.

This is for Gordan. I've been on the forums for a while and decided to take the dive. Love my Gen 8  and was looking to remove the e3-1220Lv2 put it on sale and replace it with a locally available 1240v2.

Question is how did you do your ducting? I looked on in other threads and I see you provided some links that are now broken and was wondering if you were willing to share how you did it or may be re-upload the images you shared previously.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I need to get the upgrade done along with a board replacement (got the gen8 from amazon and it came defective and only have a week to do it, had HPe warranty fortunately).

thanks