RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Lap the heatsink for E3-1220 V2? TDP involved

pEEps

As title says, should I do it? A guy said to me that for CPUs with TDP 49W or less the standard heatsink is enough, but for CPUs with 50W+ TDP, both heatsink and CPU must be lapped. I checked the process and it seems a bit risky for my hands so... Can I avoid it or is a must for these types of CPUs? 

Btw, Xeon E3-1220 V2 has 69W TDP.

Thanks all!

As long as you have a decent heat sink and good airflow, there is absolutely no reason to do this.

In fact, in general, you shouldn't.  These people are crazy and extremists, looking to eek out every little bit of performance regardless of the consequences (such as voiding your warrant). 

As title says, should I do it? A guy said to me that for CPUs with TDP 49W or less the standard heatsink is enough, but for CPUs with 50W+ TDP, both heatsink and CPU must be lapped. I checked the process and it seems a bit risky for my hands so... Can I avoid it or is a must for these types of CPUs?

No. You're getting bad advice. As Drashna mentions above, people only do it because they're overclocking and going right to the bleeding edge in terms of stability. Any well made heatsink will be flat enough already. Lapping just voids the warranty on the heatsink and the CPU and that is pointless if it was good enough already for you.
  • Like 1

there are users on this forum, using stock heatsinks, and some cardboard for ducting and using E3-1290v2 with a TDP of 87w (Intel Ark - http://ark.intel.com/products/65722/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1290-v2-8M-Cache-3_70-GHz)

I'm sure @Gordon will be along later, and say that's me!

There's also a user with a E3-1270 (v1), at 80 watts, and standard heatsink.

Edited by einsteinagogo
  • Like 1

The 1220 v2 is 4 thread's at 3.3ghz i doubt it uses over around 35w-40w doing a prime

go try

the 1265L V2 uses 38w at 3.1ghz 8 threads

5 w less with no hyper threading so 33w

add 200mhz 40w should be the max the 1220 v2 uses

Edited by Shonk

Here you go

Your max turbo frequency with 4 threads being used is 3.3ghz

I have disabled hyper threading to match your cpu

and disabled turbo to lower my max frequency to 3.4ghz (100mhz more than your cpu)

Your max power use should be very slightly lower than this (say 38.5w)

Untitled.jpg

• Like 2

Another point to make is that a lot of these guys are the water cooler enthusiasts of old. 

Water cooling is awesome and you can do a lot of cool things (visually), but it's water. There is a point where you're generating too much heat to efficiently dissipate, and just heating the entire loop.  There are a lot of factors to this, But, IIRC, it's much lower  than a lot of enthusiasts like to admit. . 

That said, they are awesome for silent systems, and would work great in a living room due to how quiet they can run. 

The reason I mention this, is that it's a lot of the same mentality, and reasoning.... that manufacturers lock cores, and shut off features, etc, because of some magical testing process that reveals that they're not as fit for these tasks.....  Even though there isn't a lick of evidence (not enough real rumors). 

It's one of those things that has already really irritated me, because it's misinformation and tin foil hats. 

And to be blunt, I be loath to trust any advice from somebody that says that you absolutely must  tin/lap/watercool/etc. 

Here you go

Your max turbo frequency with 4 threads being used is 3.3ghz

I have disabled hyper threading to match your cpu

and disabled turbo to lower my max frequency to 3.4ghz (100mhz more than your cpu)

Your max power use should be very slightly lower than this (say 38.5w)

Untitled.jpg

Woooow, thanks a lot! That's definitely the picture I need to beat that guy :-). Thanks again.

Another point to make is that a lot of these guys are the water cooler enthusiasts of old. 

Water cooling is awesome and you can do a lot of cool things (visually), but it's water. There is a point where you're generating too much heat to efficiently dissipate, and just heating the entire loop.  There are a lot of factors to this, But, IIRC, it's much lower  than a lot of enthusiasts like to admit. . 

That said, they are awesome for silent systems, and would work great in a living room due to how quiet they can run. 

The reason I mention this, is that it's a lot of the same mentality, and reasoning.... that manufacturers lock cores, and shut off features, etc, because of some magical testing process that reveals that they're not as fit for these tasks.....  Even though there isn't a lick of evidence (not enough real rumors). 

It's one of those things that has already really irritated me, because it's misinformation and tin foil hats. 

And to be blunt, I be loath to trust any advice from somebody that says that you absolutely must  tin/lap/watercool/etc. 

All I can say is that I could not agree more.