RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

noob needs help configuring RAID

abrus

Mostly to back up all the home videos and baby picks gathered over the last 10 years...

Noob to servers and Linux...

I bought:

Gave it some extras:

- GPU - Sapphire Radeon HD 6450: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005AAIEBW

- Micro SD card: old 2GB for Grub

Been playing with it and have managed to get Grub on the internal SD with Ubuntu Server 16.04 and Unity desktop installed on the SSD on the ODD connections.

Now need to figure RAID and how to back up all the videos and picks to one of the HDD (WD 2TB SATA 3 Red) with back up on the other.

Wish to avoid AHCI and the noise it blows please.

Can someone make it easy for me without going through the tons of pages in here?

Any help hill be great.

Thanking you.

back up all the videos and picks to one of the HDD (WD 2TB SATA 3 Red) with back up on the other.

With just two drives you can only go with RAID 0 or 1

You do not need to use the boot loader if you are using the B120i controller. Go into setup and enable the B120i. During boot it will allow you to configure the drives under the B120i. You would need to configure the SSD as a Single drive RAID0 and be sure to have the correct driver available. You can configure the two 2TB Reds as a RAID1 array. They will appear as a single drive.

before doing anything with raid, back it up first !  what you are protecting is iireplaceble

a separate copy on a usb drive at the minimum

playing with raid can be be tricky and data recovery may not be possible

copying online to gdrive/onedrive/dropbox is also a good idea

before doing anything with raid, back it up first !  what you are protecting is iireplaceble

a separate copy on a usb drive at the minimum

playing with raid can be be tricky and data recovery may not be possible

copying online to gdrive/onedrive/dropbox is also a good idea

Couldn't agree more.  The one time you don't have a plan in place to recover, that will be the time it bites you.  I have to move a controller from one box to another and I plan to copy about 7 TB to USB just to be safe.

Thank you all for your replies.

@Al_Borges, @jmwill - I have backup of everything.

You do not need to use the boot loader if you are using the B120i controller. Go into setup and enable the B120i. During boot it will allow you to configure the drives under the B120i. You would need to configure the SSD as a Single drive RAID0 and be sure to have the correct driver available. You can configure the two 2TB Reds as a RAID1 array. They will appear as a single drive.

As per @schoondoggy, I've set RAID and had to re-install Ubuntu Server and Unity Desktop on to the SSD. After all the updates etc., the RAID1 drives are showing as two separate drives. Not sure what I've done wrong but here's how they show...

2.png

1.png