RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

# of SSID and WiFi speed

t2clej

On access points, does the # of SSIDs effect the connection speed? 

AP1 with 1 SSID vs AP2 with 4 SSID  -will the first scenario give better speed?

Thanks.

Depends on the manufacturer, and the technologies behind it, some say yes, others say no. In my experience with a range of manufacturers, all of higher end equipment I would say all are effected by having multiple SSID's available from them, its just the extend that matters.

What is your use case??

Depends on the manufacturer, and the technologies behind it, some say yes, others say no. In my experience with a range of manufacturers, all of higher end equipment I would say all are effected by having multiple SSID's available from them, its just the extend that matters.

What is your use case??

Home user with 4 family members. I want to to separate the kids with their own SSID. However, if this negatively effects network speed then it is probably not worth it.

Currently using two Asus AC68 and just installed UniFi AP AC Pro. Trying to determine best setup. The UniFi is centrally located and can do the job with 1 SSID and guest SSID. I want to add two more but thought I'd check with you guys first.

Thanks.

In the worst case senario I have heard, 4 SSID's will dedicate a quarter of potential bandwidth to each SSID. the UniFi I honestly do not know to much as I have not used them personally.  However given how the UniFi performs (not to badly according to a quick bit of Google-Fu) it should not be to bad if you are not utlising the guest portal system,

Given how it works I would say give it a shot with all 4 on the UniFi and if not start shedding some of the load to the AC68

One option would be that if you got reasonable coverage from both wireless points and to spread the load I would be putting one network (the unfiltered "adult" one) and the guest (I am assuming the firmware is the same overseas as it is for us here in Australia and the AC68 can do a bridged and a guest) on the AC68, and put two on the UniFi. Split the difference.

With that few users, I don't see a problem at all. Any additional resource the AP uses to handle the extra SSIDs will unlikely be enough to affect the overall performance.. or at the least, it will unlikely make any noticeable degradation. But increase the number of concurrent users and the resource usage on the APs increases exponentially. This is one of a few important parameter that separates consumer, SMB, and enterprise APs.