RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HPE VM Explorer

• 1 month later...

After seeing this post I have given it a try. I managed to get a VM backed up from my ESXi 5.5 host (free licence) and the restored that vm to the same host. Worked well!

A lot of the functionality is locked out from free version though so everything is manual e.g. you cant create schedules for backups.

I think it looks and feels nice but Id never afford it for home use.

• Like 1
jmwills

Well, if it's a Windows server with it's own backup mechanism, I've never really seen the need to a specific VM backup product.

GotNoTime

Well, if it's a Windows server with it's own backup mechanism, I've never really seen the need to a specific VM backup product.

Your OS level backup won't preserve the configuration of the VM container itself which may be very complicated with clustering, resource reservations, shared/remote storage, multiple network interfaces etc... If you just have a simple configuration with a single locally stored disk and a single connection to the only VM network interface then that obviously isn't a big deal to lose.

I am using hvbackup - always works perfectly (basically it just it takes a snapshot of the VM and packs it in a 7z archive) - easy to explore and easy to restore.

jmwills

Your OS level backup won't preserve the configuration of the VM container itself which may be very complicated with clustering, resource reservations, shared/remote storage, multiple network interfaces etc... If you just have a simple configuration with a single locally stored disk and a single connection to the only VM network interface then that obviously isn't a big deal to lose.

True enough, but the host can backup those VM Config files.