RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Upgrade CPU and PSU for ML10v2

Minh

Currently I have a ML10v2 i3-4150 with a 350W PSU and GTX 950.

I am looking to upgrade CPU and PSU (to move to a new graphic card in the future).

I am looking at the i5-4690 and this EVGA 500W PSU (http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Continuous-Warranty-Supply-100-W1-0500-KR/dp/B00H33SFJU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1464584811&sr=1-1&keywords=psu).

I have concern about the motherboard compatibility with the i5 and don't know if the EVGA PSU could fit into the case.

Have anyone tried upgrading their CPU and replacing the PSU?

Also what kinds of cables that I should buy when I replace the PSU.

The PSU has this proprietary 10pin power for the harddrives, and I know hp to sometimes use non-atx pinouts on the main motherboard connector.
Lucky for us the PSU uses a NORMAL 1x 24p ATX + 1x 4p 12v pinout on the Motherboard. and the 10p harddrive connector is easily rewired from other connectors.

more info
The size of the psu does matter a bit aswell you'll want a psu without a switch.

The HDD connector itself is a "standard" 10p ATX connector, so without destroying the original PSU you can buy a separate connector and a crimp tool to perfectly recreate that 10p power for the HDDs. But if anything reliable is needed i'd replace the powersupply with the redundant version from the ML310e Gen8 v2 (this psu does have the 10p connector.) this allows for a wide spectrum of wattage in psu choices, but you'll lose the lower optical bay.

I'm pretty sure the i5 is not supported, and i would upgrade to a xeon E3-12XX v3 anyway.
If you chose a CPU that's listed around all the forums to be working then you know it works,
it also makes the server more valuable to sell if you decide to upgrade to a other machine.
(As I said before:) I got my E3-1270 v3 for €200 so if anything that is pretty much the same price for the same specs.
(as i can see the i5 cpu you listed for €223 in stores right now.)

As far as the videocard goes, you are aware the ML10 v2 has the PCIe 3.0 16x slot electronically limited to 8 lanes right? 

Edited by H00GiE

Minh,

I'm going to ask first, what kind of graphics card do you plan on purchasing, and what your intent is for your ML10v2 as a system?

There's certainly no issue with putting an upgraded graphics card in the ML10v2.  However, the system wasn't designed for super-high wattage graphics cards, such as those intended for gaming, GPGPU computing, or heavy CAD/workstation use (though basic CAD/workstation cards that don't require a ton of additional power output are fine; there are several modest nVidia Quadro and ATI FireGL cards that fit this bill).  If your intent is to make your server double as a home-theater PC, you also don't need a high-power graphics card, as modest ones can do quite well with hardware-accelerated video decoding.

The ML10v2 is considered an entry-level small-busines server.  It is perfect in that role, and upgrading the CPU to one of the supported Xeon E3-v3 series CPUs will work very well, and not require a lot of additional power from the 350w PSU.  And the power supply itself  is just fine for powering four hard disks, some additional storage via the open 5.25" bay, and even a modest graphics card.  However, I wouldn't recommend trying to replace the power supply; as H00giE mentions, it is quite specific.  If your intent is for high-powered graphics, there are better choices for a system to fit that role.

HP makes a completely separate category of systems for use as workstations, which are intended to drive higher-power graphics cards, and if your intent is to game, it is probably better off to build a gaming system.

Edited by LoneWolf

The PSU has this proprietary 10pin power for the harddrives, and I know hp to sometimes use non-atx pinouts on the main motherboard connector.

Lucky for us the PSU uses a NORMAL 1x 24p ATX + 1x 4p 12v pinout on the Motherboard. and the 10p harddrive connector is easily rewired from other connectors.

more info

The size of the psu does matter a bit aswell you'll want a psu without a switch.

The HDD connector itself is a "standard" 10p ATX connector, so without destroying the original PSU you can buy a separate connector and a crimp tool to perfectly recreate that 10p power for the HDDs. But if anything reliable is needed i'd replace the powersupply with the redundant version from the ML310e Gen8 v2 (this psu does have the 10p connector.) this allows for a wide spectrum of wattage in psu choices, but you'll lose the lower optical bay.

I'm pretty sure the i5 is not supported, and i would upgrade to a xeon E3-12XX v3 anyway.

Can you explain why the i5 would not work with the motherboard?

I am living in the US so it's easier to purchase a cheap i5 then a cheap E3

I got the ML10v2 and GTX950 for a really cheap price so I used it for gaming right now. In the future, I probly will buid a gaming PC and use the ML10 for work

Minh,

I'm going to ask first, what kind of graphics card do you plan on purchasing, and what your intent is for your ML10v2 as a system?

I used GTX 950 for my ML10v2 right now and it works fine for me. However if I could upgrade it to a somewhat higher graphic card I would consider it immediately

I got the ML10v2 and GTX950 for a really cheap price so I used it for gaming right now. In the future, I probly will buid a gaming PC and use the ML10 for work

I used GTX 950 for my ML10v2 right now and it works fine for me. However if I could upgrade it to a somewhat higher graphic card I would consider it immediately

What I was asking though was, why do you want a higher-end graphics card in this system?  What is your goal?

And, I believe they make a low-power GTX 960 now.

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-e3-1241v3-/331853195928?hash=item4d43fdea98:g:6P0AAOSw1KxXMqqd

And about that i5, the core i5 (opposed to the i3) does not support ECC: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4690-vs-Intel-Core-i3-4150

You use a server for gaming, well then.... to each their own I guess...

What do you mean by "work"?

you CAN drive a tank on a racetrack... doesn't mean it's meant to do that, but I admire your mentality of thinking outside the box... :D

I was imagining using the videocard's capabilities for VDI hardware (3D) acceleration support.

Edited by H00GiE

I got this server ML10 for a really cheap price because the electronic store near my place was going out of business and they tried to sell everything as quick as possible. I grab the server and put on the GTX 950 to game for now because I play mostly mid range game and the system can handle it fine.

I just want to see how far I can get with this set up. The CPU and GPU might not be worth it to upgrade but I think the PSU could use some 

Any recommendation for a new PSU? I don't know if the EVGA one I posted fit into the case

This really isn't a system meant for a PSU change, the design is proprietary.  If the system handles gaming fine, and that's what you would use it for, I'd keep it at that.

The only change I'd look at might be (because it should be inexpensive while still giving a power boost) a Xeon E3-1220v3, which takes you from 2 cores with HyperThreading to 4 cores.  There will be little power difference, but some additional performance in games that use multiple threads.  You should be able to find them for reasonable prices gently used on eBay.

Edited by LoneWolf

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to ask if the ML10v2 will be ok with an E3 1231v3? or higher? also,

IS it possible to use WD Red 8tb drives in this machine? or is there a limit?

Thanks for looking.. :)