RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Noob here - Please sanity check my set-up?

matf

Hi,

Please can someone just sanity check my setup for me before I head down the whole installation path? I've done a lot of reading of threads and I think I have my head around everything - but not 100%!

1) I have an SSD in the ODD port, connected to sata on the motherboard, and powered via a Floppy to Sata adapter

2) I'm putting 3 x 4TB in the main drive bays

3) I plan to have all drives as RAID0, so that I can boot off the SSD without using the AHCI workaround, and I have in effect JBOD.

4) I'll then install Windows 10 Pro x64 (not sure whether I need to use Intelligent provisioning?)

5) Install Stablepit Drivepool to create a pool (do I need to do anything to recognise the drives?)

6) At some point I want to add a 4th 2TB drive - slightly worried about this as I read you can't expand the array, but I'm thinking I'm not expanding an array, but adding a new RAID0 array.

7) Can I at a later point, remove that 4th drive (the 2TB one) and just replace with a 4TB drive in RAID0 (I know I'll have to move data off etc.)

Does that all make sense? Anything I need to watch out for?

Cheers

M

You mean that you'll put each drive into it's own RAID0 array? 

If so, that should be fine. But keep in mind that you won't get SMART data from the drives, if that matters.

And yes, StableBit DrivePool should recognize the drives just fine. It has no issues with RAID arrays, storage spaces pools, etc.  As long as the drive/array shows up in disk management, and as a "basic" disk there... DrivePool has no issues with seeing/using it.. 

Ah. Didn't know about the SMART issue. Will either ILO or Stablebit Scanner be able to warn me about impending drive failure in that case?

(Thanks btw!)

M

Hi,

Please can someone just sanity check my setup for me before I head down the whole installation path? I've done a lot of reading of threads and I think I have my head around everything - but not 100%!

1) I have an SSD in the ODD port, connected to sata on the motherboard, and powered via a Floppy to Sata adapter

2) I'm putting 3 x 4TB in the main drive bays

3) I plan to have all drives as RAID0, so that I can boot off the SSD without using the AHCI workaround, and I have in effect JBOD.

4) I'll then install Windows 10 Pro x64 (not sure whether I need to use Intelligent provisioning?)

5) Install Stablepit Drivepool to create a pool (do I need to do anything to recognise the drives?)

6) At some point I want to add a 4th 2TB drive - slightly worried about this as I read you can't expand the array, but I'm thinking I'm not expanding an array, but adding a new RAID0 array.

7) Can I at a later point, remove that 4th drive (the 2TB one) and just replace with a 4TB drive in RAID0 (I know I'll have to move data off etc.)

Does that all make sense? Anything I need to watch out for?

Cheers

M

4. Do not use IP to install Windows 10. You can use iLo, but if you are going to use the B120i you will need to have the driver for Windows Server 21012R2.

5. As per the post above SMART data does not get through any RAID controller.

6. You would not be expanding an array you would be adding one.

7. Yes, but you need to follow the correct steps to remove the drive/array from the controller and add a new one.

You may want to consider adding in a SATA card and running everything AHCI. You could add a 2-4 port SATA card, boot your SSD from that and run the on board controller in AHCI. You could use a SATA card that has SFF-8087 connectors and run the front bays from it, then cable the on board SATA to the SSD.

Ah. Didn't know about the SMART issue. Will either ILO or Stablebit Scanner be able to warn me about impending drive failure in that case?

(Thanks btw!)

M

iLo can report issues, but it needs to see a local mail server

(Thanks btw!)

M

StableBit Scanner can still perform the surface and file system scans, and will notify you if it detects errors. 

It just can't do anything with the SMART data, as it can't access it.

Thanks all - that is very helpful. I do have a spare sata card hanging around somewhere, so I'll have a think about AHCI.

I will post to let you know how I get on!

M

• 2 weeks later...

You may want to consider adding in a SATA card and running everything AHCI. You could add a 2-4 port SATA card, boot your SSD from that and run the on board controller in AHCI. You could use a SATA card that has SFF-8087 connectors and run the front bays from it, then cable the on board SATA to the SSD.

What would be the purpose of this exercise?

EDIT: NVM I found this thread: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6291-gen8-odd-ahci-and-booting/

Edited by sunefred