RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Sonos

StanHD

I have been looking at network music systems for a while now, and even though it seems pretty expensive, I have taken the plunge with Sonos.

Anyone else using it? I would like to hear of any tricks / tips etc. Although the costs seem initially high, here are my thoughts.

1. With the introduction of the "all in one" S5 Zoneplayer, with it's good quality of build and very reasonable sound performance the overal "Zone" cost is more tenable. (as against the equivilent cost of amp and say ceiling speakers)
  2. The iPhone control app and pending iPad app negate the requirement for an expensive proprietry remote control unit.
  3. Very good reviews around the forums. (biggest criticism appears to be cost)

I have purchased the Zone Bridge which sits adjacent and connected to my router, and one S5 Zoneplayer which is sited on top of the cabinets in our Kitchen.

Set-up was a dream:-

1. Take the Zone Bridge out of the box, attach with supplied "flat" Rj45 patch lead to the router, power up with supplied adapter.
  2. Take the S5 Zoneplayer out of the box, place in position and power up.
  3. Load the supplied software, which updates online, then follow the instructions from the wizard, which includes the discovery process.
  4. The wizard guides you through the process "Add Music Stored in Folders that are Currently Shared on my Network". This allows you to address or browse to the WHS music share. (I connected using an existing account, but it may be advisable to add a "Sonos" dedicated account on the WHS)
  5. Once basically set-up using a PC, downloading the iPhone app (which we are also using on our iPad) and setting up is a breeze.

So simple and bug free. Although we only have the single Zone (Kitchen) at the moment, it's easy to project the apparent ease of adding Zones.

Our impressions so far are very favourable. It controls easily, either from the iPhone / iPad or from a netbook / PC. The real benefits of course won't be appreciated until we get additional Zones. Hmmmm need to start saving some serious wonga for that !!!!

Any comments or advice greatfuly received.

That's awesome. I've always looked longingly at a setup like that, but my budget doesn't come close to allowing it. If you don't mind sharing, what was the total out-of-pocket when all was said and done for the setup?

I love music systems like this although I've never had one. Russound and Nuvo also compete very heavily in this sector. Their newest products send the tunes over powerlines. Lots of choices.

Did you say there was an iPad app? I wonder if I can resell Sonos? I might have to look into that!

That's awesome. I've always looked longingly at a setup like that, but my budget doesn't come close to allowing it. If you don't mind sharing, what was the total out-of-pocket when all was said and done for the setup?

S5 Zone Player ("All in one") - £349.00

BR100 Zonebridge - £79.00 (you don't need one of these if you have a Zoneplayer connected to the router)

Total (GBP):- £428.00

Roughly (USD):- $659.00

Iphone app is free.

I love music systems like this although I've never had one. Russound and Nuvo also compete very heavily in this sector. Their newest products send the tunes over powerlines. Lots of choices.

Did you say there was an iPad app? I wonder if I can resell Sonos? I might have to look into that!

Yep:- http://www.electricp...incoming-video/ (due end of Sept 2010 I think)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using the Sonos system for about five years. I have two streaming-only boxes, two boxes that have the built-in amps, an S5, and two of the first generation controllers. The system works extremely well, but there are a few caveats. First of all, while it does set up its own mesh network to communicate between zone players, it uses the standard 802.11 2.4 Ghz frequency. You have a choice between channels 1, 6, and 11 (the three non-overlapping channels). The only potential problem here is that if you already have a 2.4 Ghz wireless network and some of your close neighbors do too, you might encounter a reduced range due to interference between the Sonos net and the 802.11 ones. Best to do a wireless scan to see what channels are in heavy use in your area before plunking down the ducats for one. One note here - I am using mostly older Sonos gear, which uses the original 802.11 B/G technology. A couple of years ago, Sonos upgraded most of their hardware to 802.11n technology which has supposedly significantly enhanced the wireless range of the system.

What I really like is that the Sonos system does not require a client to be running on any PC to access your music library. Some of the earlier technologies I tried, namely the Squeezebox and the Logitech systems required a client app running somewhere that handled indexing the music. The Sonos system does that for you, so you could even have your music collection on a fairly simple NAS device and the Sonos will be able to see it. Add to that the list of the supported music subscription services is awesome. I personnly subscribe to the Rhapsody library which gives me the ability to stream just about any song ever recorded throughout my house.

As to cost, one needs to understand the market that Sonos is playing in. It is not really trying to compete with the low end Logitech systems of the world. Instead, it has its sights set on the higher end Creston and Control 4 whole house systems that cost many thousands of $$ to purchase and must be professionally installed at considerable cost. That said, the combination of the all-in-one S5 and the ipod/iphone/ipad controller makes for a relatively cost-effective offering, plus it gives you the ability to expand your music system across your house at any point in the future.

Mindofmenjim, thanks for the info. I did make sure that my wireless LAN was on a different channel, but I forgot about any neighbours! Seems ok for the moment, however we only have 1 S5 at this time. (more to come I hope as the WAF is sky high on this one)

On another note Sonos have now released the iPad app, It is simply awesome.

Stan

• 2 weeks later...

@StanHD Very nice setup. I've been looking at Sonos for a while now and while cost is what's holding me back it is in my sites. So hopefully in the near future I can report on my own system.

@mindofmenjim Thanks for including that Info.

@HSS-Dave Sonos does have both an affiliate and a dealer program. Let us know how you make out with that.

I have been looking at network music systems for a while now, and even though it seems pretty expensive, I have taken the plunge with Sonos.

Anyone else using it? I would like to hear of any tricks / tips etc. Although the costs seem initially high, here are my thoughts.

1. With the introduction of the "all in one" S5 Zoneplayer, with it's good quality of build and very reasonable sound performance the overal "Zone" cost is more tenable. (as against the equivilent cost of amp and say ceiling speakers)
  2. The iPhone control app and pending iPad app negate the requirement for an expensive proprietry remote control unit.
  3. Very good reviews around the forums. (biggest criticism appears to be cost)

I have purchased the Zone Bridge which sits adjacent and connected to my router, and one S5 Zoneplayer which is sited on top of the cabinets in our Kitchen.

Set-up was a dream:-

1. Take the Zone Bridge out of the box, attach with supplied "flat" Rj45 patch lead to the router, power up with supplied adapter.
  2. Take the S5 Zoneplayer out of the box, place in position and power up.
  3. Load the supplied software, which updates online, then follow the instructions from the wizard, which includes the discovery process.
  4. The wizard guides you through the process "Add Music Stored in Folders that are Currently Shared on my Network". This allows you to address or browse to the WHS music share. (I connected using an existing account, but it may be advisable to add a "Sonos" dedicated account on the WHS)
  5. Once basically set-up using a PC, downloading the iPhone app (which we are also using on our iPad) and setting up is a breeze.

So simple and bug free. Although we only have the single Zone (Kitchen) at the moment, it's easy to project the apparent ease of adding Zones.

Our impressions so far are very favourable. It controls easily, either from the iPhone / iPad or from a netbook / PC. The real benefits of course won't be appreciated until we get additional Zones. Hmmmm need to start saving some serious wonga for that !!!!

Any comments or advice greatfuly received.

Stan,

Re-reading this post made me review the capabilities and features of the Sonos units and I must say I am impressed. My have to travel down this road very soon as this is a really cool idea. They are not cheap but it looks as though I can start small and build on it. Good luck with these and I look forward to trying these out soon.

Stan,

Re-reading this post made me review the capabilities and features of the Sonos units and I must say I am impressed. My have to travel down this road very soon as this is a really cool idea. They are not cheap but it looks as though I can start small and build on it. Good luck with these and I look forward to trying these out soon.

pcdoc,

So far we are loving it, being able to control from laptops, iphone and iPad is great. There is always something to use nearby wherever you are in the house. We have subscribed to Napster Unlimited after their 30 day trial and we are really impressed. Unbelievably, my 15 year old daughter thinks it is "cool". (and other complimentary words that we don't understand !) Playlists allow you to mix stuff on your network (WHS) with stuff streamed on-line seamlessly.

One thing we use is the ability to pre-programme anything to play at a set time for a set duration. We have set the unit in the kitchen to come on at breakfast time with a local internet radio stream. Nothing special there except we all drift out of the house at different times but the unit turns off at a set time after we have all left. So no need to use a controller.

The PC interface isn't very pretty but it's easy to use and handy if you happen to be using a laptop at the time you want to control your music. The iPhone app is cool, fast to connect and easy to use. The real winner though is the iPad app. Take a look at the video on the Sonos site, it's almost a reason to get the iPad just for this!!

Stan