RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server Essentials 2012 R2 stuck in repair/recovery loop

skinfreak

Hi there,

Having ran FreeNAS for a year or so, I tohught I would test the beenfits of Windows Server on my Gen8 Micro. All has been well in the last month and I am really impressed how it supports the other PCs in my home. However, today something went a bit squiffy. Essnetially I ended up perofrming a hard reset and since then the server has been stuck in a permentant boot loop. I cannot recover the 2012R2 install as the C: does not seem to be present even though the B120i RAID config seems to be fine.

I have a 160GB boot drive in the ODD bay with a RAID 0 config acting a a boot drive - this initially installed via Intelligent Provisioning perfectly well. The other logical array comprises 4x 3TB drives in a RAID 0+1. Apart from that, there is 16GB RAM is the only upgrade from the vanilla box.

I cannot get out of the boot loop, nor can I repair the install - I wonder if this is something to do with the RAID 0 configuration that I have applied as Windows Recovery says the drive is locked. I understand that the RAID 0 config is necessary to prevent the issues with fan sensors working etc but I was wondering how on earth to get at the installed logical drive.

I am contemplating scrubbing the install and starting from scratch - but I'd rather not hit this issue again in the future. Therefore should I reconsider the RAID 0 config for the boot drive? Does anyone have wisdom on my config to impart?

Thanks

John

I cant see how the single drive RAID0 could have caused this issue. Have you checked the BIOS to confirm it is set to boot from the B120i? In the SSA tool have you checked to see that the single drive RAID0 is set as the boot partition? Try removing the four 3TB drives and see if it boots.

Do you have and VM's running in Server 2012R2 E?

I cant see how the single drive RAID0 could have caused this issue. Have you checked the BIOS to confirm it is set to boot from the B120i? In the SSA tool have you checked to see that the single drive RAID0 is set as the boot partition? Try removing the four 3TB drives and see if it boots.

Do you have and VM's running in Server 2012R2 E?

No VMs, and I tried the removing the other drives but no dice (I read that helped elsewhere). I can get the B120i drivers to work if I boot with a Windows DVD but cannot seem to get the recovery to work.

It was all working fine until I forced the reboot - I had wondered if the single RAID was failing but this does not seem to be the case.

Thanks for the link though - I found that before but it does not seem to be the same issues for me.

Tip. From the install CD, once you have the drivers loaded, press SHIFT+F10. This will bring up the command prompt.

Have fun!