RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Untangle 101: Running Untangle at Home.

jmwills

I assume jmwills is referring to:

https://f5.com/

Yes he is.  Basically what this does is allow me to point multiple external DNS entries to one WAN IP address on my side.

psykix

I understand why many are waiting until Sophos XG matures. However Sophos UTM doesn't lack any functionality that would drive me toward another UTM let alone Untangle. What am I missing? If it's not broken, why replace it?

It's limited to 50 IP addresses. Untangle shows that I have 31 known devices. It keeps on increasing year on year!

jmwills

It's limited to 50 IP addresses. Untangle shows that I have 31 known devices. It keeps on increasing year on year!

One thing you can do to help with that issue is to decrease the amount of time given (leases) on DCHP Addresses

itGeeks

Yes Sophos UTM9 is limited to 50 IP's but Sophos XG there is no such limit.

psykix

Yes Sophos UTM9 is limited to 50 IP's but Sophos XG there is no such limit.

I know, the question was why would someone move from UTM.. I was just giving a reason why UTM may not be suitable for everyone.

itGeeks

I know, the question was why would someone move from UTM.. I was just giving a reason why UTM may not be suitable for everyone.

No worries, I was just pointing that out for those that did not no.

snapper

However Sophos UTM doesn't lack any functionality that would drive me toward another UTM let alone Untangle

Interesting choice of words (my highlight); do you not rate Untangle?

awraynor

It would be great if someone a lot smarter than me would do a talk about Untangle, PFSense, Sophos, etc at the Meetup.

awraynor

Well as I have used Sophos both UTM9 and the new XG see here are my thoughts and y I have decided to use Untangle. As you said the new home pricing model is fantastic, You also get to keep your sanity because Untangle does not break your network and streaming services continue to work without bypassing any devices, You also get free support if needed. Sophos just broke way to many things for me to continue using it in a home environment. I was looking for a nice balance of protection and ease of use and I found that with the new Untangle. I am sure pcdoc will chime in here and give his thoughts on Sophos, I think I created a monster turning pcdoc onto Sophos :D All kidding aside I was once a Sophos fanboy and if your willing to deal with the heavy footsteps and yelling of your family when something does not work then its a great product and will serve you well, I just got tired of all that so I moved on and I am very happy I did so.

I have some significant lag in my network I'm using an Asus Wireless AC router and had thought about going to such a "device". What hardware do you use for Untangle? Will it complement Luma assuming it arrives anytime soon? 

Per above. This would be a great demonstration topic at the meetup. Are you coming this year? Would be great to meet you in person?

jmwills

I have some significant lag in my network I'm using an Asus Wireless AC router and had thought about going to such a "device". What hardware do you use for Untangle? Will it complement Luma assuming it arrives anytime soon? 

Per above. This would be a great demonstration topic at the meetup. Are you coming this year? Would be great to meet you in person?

Wired or wireless lag?