RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Untangle 101: Running Untangle at Home.

itGeeks

This was a nice 1 hour recorded webinar on setting up and running Untangle at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KILmKRNHLYA&feature=youtu.be

"Concerned about getting visibility into your home network? Disappointed with the functionality of your Wi-Fi router? Consider running Untangle with our affordable, new home license. Join our Founder and Chief Product Officer, Dirk Morris, as he details the benefits of running NG Firewall at home and shows you how to tackle some of your biggest concerns"

Edited by itGeeks

oj88

$5/mo or $50/yr seems reasonable, especially compared to their previous a la carte licensing model. I love the module 'rack' GUI as it makes it very intuitive to work with.

I wonder how it stack up against Sophos XG Firewall Home Ed? How much more value will I get from the subscription model of Untangle compared to Sophos, which is free?

itGeeks

$5/mo or $50/yr seems reasonable, especially compared to their previous a la carte licensing model. I love the module 'rack' GUI as it makes it very intuitive to work with.

I wonder how it stack up against Sophos XG Firewall Home Ed? How much more value will I get from the subscription model of Untangle compared to Sophos, which is free?

Well as I have used Sophos both UTM9 and the new XG see here are my thoughts and y I have decided to use Untangle. As you said the new home pricing model is fantastic, You also get to keep your sanity because Untangle does not break your network and streaming services continue to work without bypassing any devices, You also get free support if needed. Sophos just broke way to many things for me to continue using it in a home environment. I was looking for a nice balance of protection and ease of use and I found that with the new Untangle. I am sure pcdoc will chime in here and give his thoughts on Sophos, I think I created a monster turning pcdoc onto Sophos :D All kidding aside I was once a Sophos fanboy and if your willing to deal with the heavy footsteps and yelling of your family when something does not work then its a great product and will serve you well, I just got tired of all that so I moved on and I am very happy I did so.

Edited by itGeeks

Jason

I understand why many are waiting until Sophos XG matures. However Sophos UTM doesn't lack any functionality that would drive me toward another UTM let alone Untangle. What am I missing? If it's not broken, why replace it?

Poppapete

I always pick up something from the untangle webinars ( on YouTube).  Anyone wanting to control or see what kids or guests access on the network should watch this one.

snapper

I understand why many are waiting until Sophos XG matures. However Sophos UTM doesn't lack any functionality that would drive me toward another UTM let alone Untangle. What am I missing? If it's not broken, why replace it?

Ease of use.

Untangle is default open (as is XG) therefore any device on the LAN can get out.

UTM9 is default closed, meaning you need to open as needed, which can be time consuming.

Therefore UT & XG out-of-the box are more family friendly as most stuff works (at the expense of being less secure)

I have all 3 in VM's and have played extensively with them all, and stayed with UTM9 as it suits my security paranoid outlook, but both UTM9 and UT are good products.

XG has too many quirks at the moment, but will re-evaluate when the new version is released.

itGeeks

I always pick up something from the untangle webinars ( on YouTube).  Anyone wanting to control or see what kids or guests access on the network should watch this one.

Agreed...

jmwills

I'm about to jump off the deep end into F5 land.  Mainly so I can run SharePoint 2013, 2016, WHS 2011, 2012 Essentials and 2016 Essentials without altering any ports.  Should be interesting.

Jason

Haven't read up on F5 yet. Is it a new form of QoS? Or security?

schoondoggy

Haven't read up on F5 yet. Is it a new form of QoS? Or security?

I assume jmwills is referring to:

https://f5.com/