RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New Vail Build....finally

jmwills

I was able to use some spare equipment we have laying around to build my first "physical" Vail server as opposed to the virtual box I had been using. Specs are as follows:

Dell PowerEdge 1950 - Two 1.86 Ghz Quad Core Processors with 4 Gigs RAM 667 MHz

4 x 73 gig 10k RPM SAS Drives RAID 0 configuration (Vail sees 1 virtual drive of around 270 gigs)

I might try to rebuild this with one of the drives as a stand alone drive since Vail appears to be looking for a 60 gig system drive and prepare a RAID 5 for the remaining 3 drives or just let them be standalone also.

That's why its a test server. No issues at all with the initial setup. 32 updates were ready for an immediate install.

Connected Clients: Dell Optiplex 755 with Windows 7 Enterprise (x86)

With the equipment I have, at least the system drive will have to be in a RAID configuration so I am going to stick with the 4x73 RAID 0 setup. We'll play with this for a bit, blow it out and install Aurora and play with it for awhile. I do like the ability to remove the system drive from the pool, but with this setup, that is not possible.

It's all about trial and error until I get home for the holidays and spend a half day setting this up in a final install, providing we go final by then.

With the equipment I have, at least the system drive will have to be in a RAID configuration...

Care to elaborate? Is it a perc card or a 3rd part?

Perc 6i all drives are 73 gig, so WHS wants at least a 160 gig for the system which would take three of the drives. Only two configurations are possible:

All four raided or three plus one standalone.

Finally went back to the RAID 0 configuration for testing. I purchased one of the ICY Dock 2.5" drive adapters a few weeks ago for a new system so I might swap one of the drives to see what issues I see to replace that "old drive". It should act very similar to this setup.

Guest no-control

Gotcha. That makes sense. The Perc cards that I've used in the past have been great to work with.

Yeah simple and get the job done....but rebooting, my god the boot time for initialization was soooooo long.