RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Imaging from other hardware

bigjezza

Hi everyone!

​Just thought i'd let the internet know I managed to transplant Server 2012 R2 essentials from an i3 NUC using AHCI to the ML10v2 using the RAID drivers - without losing my installation. This process should work if you have installed as AHCI and want to change to RAID.

It was a bit of a pain - particularly the 3 min post of the HP!

To change to RAID was a several step process.

On the old PC I manually added the B110i drivers by choosing the Microsoft Storage Spaces adapter and updating its drivers with the B110i RAID drivers. Of course they couldn't load becuase the HW wasn't present - this step got the .sys driver files where they needed to be and some of the registry entries.

I imaged the NUC, and applied the image to a drive in the HP set as RAID. It BSOD. I tried DISM /add driver on the offline OS to no avail. However it would boot with the RBSU set to AHCI. Yay.

So what I did was change RBSU back to RAID and performed a fresh install of Server 2012R2 using the RAID drivers. I then exported several registry keys from the working install. They were

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HPSA2, ​HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C04&SUBSYS_00841590&REV_04

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_1590&DEV_005F&SUBSYS_005F1590&REV_00

I saved these .reg somewhere.

I then wiped the drive and reapplied the NUC AHCI image. Using MS DaRT's offline registry editor, I imported those reg files. The driver's .sys files were already there from my manual driver update I did on the NUC before I imaged it.

Success! It booted. In RAID! I then re-ran the HP driver installer and all is good!

So to anyone wondering about this. The key points are:

Manually install the B110i drivers in device manager on OS you want to change over to RAID.

Then fresh install the OS in RAID mode on a different drive and export those keys.

Then import those keys into your original OS using an offline registry editor.

Good luck!