RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What software do you use to back up your server?

LoneWolf

For a number of us, Windows Server comes with a backup solution.  Maybe we use it because it's free.  However, it's not without its drawbacks; for example, if you experience drive failure, and the new drive layout is even a sector smaller than the old, it is not intelligent enough to resolve this issue, even if there is far less space taken up by the backup than there is the disk.  Then there's the occasional "your backup is having a problem" type errors that mean you have to run the backup repair utility, and possibly find a number of backups in your chain have been removed.

I like the Server Essentials client backup for computers; but I'm looking around at other server backup solutions as my storage gets larger.  What software do all of you use in a home role, knowing that server software packages are often expensive, and that free ones are sometimes limited in scope?  I'm interested to know.

Windows Server Backup. 

I have a small SSD, and use that as the system drive.

Also, in the case of restore failure, I'll just mount the VHDx file and clone that. I've done it before and it works.

My SSDs in RAID run the OS and any needed apps.  My larger RAID array hosts the data.

I do wish I could more easily afford Macrium Reflect Server (base price $250) or a license for StorageCraft ShadowProtect, which I use at work and which works great for onsite encrypted backups followed by FTP offsite transfers, but it's not cheap either.

I use the server backup and assume that in case of server OS drive failure the backup could be mounted and cloned as Drashna says he has performed.  That said I do believe the free Veeam Endpoint product can be used for server backup but I only use it to backup clients to server.