RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

microSD is not recognized after CPU upgrade

marat_n

Hello guys,

I have a strange problem on my MS Gen8 - after upgrading my CPU from Celeron G1610T to Xeon E3 1265L V2 my server stopped recognizing microSD cards. I used microSD for booting Proxmox.

At first I thought there was a problem with microSD card itself (some of them are used to dying suddenly). So I tried other microSD cards but my server didn't recognize any of them.

Can it be related to the CPU upgrade? Maybe system bus frequency raise (from 1333 to 1600MHz) made it impossible to use cheap 3rd party microSD cards and I have to use original HP memory cards?

Thanks in advance!

With the best regards,

Marat

Clip2net_160514171227.png

Can it be related to the CPU upgrade? Maybe system bus frequency raise (from 1333 to 1600MHz) made it impossible to use cheap 3rd party microSD cards and I have to use original HP memory cards?

No to both. The microSD reader is unrelated to the CPU.

What does matter is that the microSD reader is attached in some way to iLO. If you've reset or updated iLO then it temporarily breaks the microSD reader on the Gen8 Microserver. Unplug the microserver from the mains, wait 5 seconds and plug it back in again. Restarting or turning off via the power button on the front doesn't work. You have to disconnect it from the mains.

Edited by GotNoTime
  • Like 1

No to both. The microSD reader is unrelated to the CPU.

What does matter is that the microSD reader is attached in some way to iLO. If you've reset or updated iLO then it temporarily breaks the microSD reader on the Gen8 Microserver. Unplug the microserver from the mains, wait 5 seconds and plug it back in again. Restarting or turning off via the power button on the front doesn't work. You have to disconnect it from the mains.

Thanks. I will check that asap.

Unfortunately unpluging the server from the mains didn't help. I also re-inserted microSD card while the server was with no power.

Btw I didn't reset or upgrade ILO or any other system components before it happened. The only thing I made was replacing the CPU

I found similar issue http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11104-gen8-weird-microsd-fault-ish/but as i said above removing/inserting microSD didn't help :(

It is hard to say at which point SD card disappears. Once I'd have problems just after entering in array configuration utility (at boot). Removing main power for some 10 s helped that time.

I would suggest to reset ILO first and then remove power.
If it doesn't help, reset the BIOS also. I think it can be done in BIOS or with system maintenance switch S6 (http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03783380-6.pdf  - pages 74-76) http://www.running-system.com/how-to-clear-or-reset-a-hp-server-gen9-nvram-using-system-maintenance-switch-on-the-system-board/

• Like 1

It is hard to say at which point SD card disappears. Once I'd have problems just after entering in array configuration utility (at boot). Removing main power for some 10 s helped that time.

I would suggest to reset ILO first and then remove power.

If it doesn't help, reset the BIOS also. I think it can be done in BIOS or with system maintenance switch S6 (http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03783380-6.pdf  - pages 74-76) http://www.running-system.com/how-to-clear-or-reset-a-hp-server-gen9-nvram-using-system-maintenance-switch-on-the-system-board/

Thanks, I will try

Thanks, I will try

you tried removing the microsd card.

I had a weird one, after a power outage!

microsd card disappeared, until I removed it physical and inserted back in!

no idea why!

Unfortunately resetting ILO, resetting BIOS settings, disconnecting the mains, removing/inserting microSD card didn't help - any microSD card is not detected by the server.

I will try to open a case on HPE support.

Unfortunately resetting ILO, resetting BIOS settings, disconnecting the mains, removing/inserting microSD card didn't help - any microSD card is not detected by the server.

I will try to open a case on HPE support.

You can try to use internal USB stick near SD slot instead of SD card.  

You can try to use internal USB stick near SD slot instead of SD card.  

yeah, i know about that USB port and i dont mind using it.

but anyway i'd like to know what's happened with my microSD card slot