RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Xeon E3-1270, 80 °C under load

ukommt

I just got my Xeon E3-1270 CPU. I installed it and tried running sysbench.

I tried three different setups and got the following results. The temperature was measured using lm-sensors.

Stock (4 cores, HT, turbo)

Idle: 50-55 °C

Load: 80 °C (I shut it down at this point)

2 cores, HT, turbo

Low power mode, 4 cores, HT, no turbo

How can this be? No matter what the temperature stays the same. Software issue?

Anything else I can do to fix this maybe?

You will need to fit a fan on the cooler or fit an aftermarket cooler to cope with the heat, you bought a 80 W CPU and put it under a 45W heatsink so no wonder it overheats.

So disabling cores/turbo/HT or enabling power-saving mode (includes downclocking the CPU to 1.6 GHz) should have no impact on power usage and temperature?

Fitting a fan on the heatsink is not a solution for me.

Edited by ukommt

good heat sink silver paste, and used the cross technique at applying paste?

not tried a 1270 yet, but I have tried a 55 watt, i3 3240 with the 35 watt heat sink, and under load, I couldn't get the temp any higher than 41 (Malaysian) and 54 (Costa Rica)

did you try and increase the exhaust cooling fan at the rear.

• Like 1

So disabling cores/turbo/HT or enabling power-saving mode (includes downclocking the CPU to 1.6 GHz) should have no impact on power usage and temperature?

Fitting a fan on the heatsink is not a solution for me.

I'm sorry if anyone has been a little reluctant on giving you a proper answer. The reality is that you put a 80W CPU under a heatsink designed to cool 45W. So, like @GoNz0 said, you need to put a cooler on it.

You can also put a ducting around the cooler, to redirect the flow of air. It's been done by a few people and it is really documented on the forum.

But my best bet would be that you didn't apply the thermal paste well enough. You really want to do it again from the start. So just start by cleaning the Xeon. There are a lot of tutorials on how to do it right. 

I don't want to insult you, but maybe you missed something. It happens to all of us at some point.

You might also want to check if you seated all the other cables right in their slots. Sometimes a bad connection can give you false readings.

Try putting the Celeron back and see if it gives you correct readings. That would be my first attempt.

I think you have a few solutions to try out. Wish you best of luck!

I cleaned the CPU and heatsink properly (cleaning alcohol, oil-free), applied silver paste properly (Arctic Silver) and reassembled everything. I have done this hundreds of times before, so this is not the issue. I've also tried repeating the process without difference in temperature or power usage.

My question is still however how changes to the CPU settings do not result in different temperstures or power usage (with this CPU).

I cleaned the CPU and heatsink properly (cleaning alcohol, oil-free), applied silver paste properly (Arctic Silver) and reassembled everything. I have done this hundreds of times before, so this is not the issue. I've also tried repeating the process without difference in temperature or power usage.

My question is still however how changes to the CPU settings do not result in different temperstures or power usage (with this CPU).

I have read, about reducing cores, etc in threads to reduce power, but I'm not sure if that actually works, as has been written, maybe others could comment, if this is indeed true, disabling cores, reduces power and temperature.

Is it possible that the chip, is damaged ? Did this come from another computer, I remember someone was going to purchase a full machine with one in, and swap them? was it this hot in the other machine ?

Most on the forum here opt for the 1265v2, there is a user on here, with a 1290v2, and cardboard ducting, and has reduced temperature, but there were no values before he installed the cardboard ducting as far as I remember.

It hasn't ended, still not solved!

Also, does anyone have the HP part number for the revised cooler?

832667-001

Heatsink 65W - For use with ProLiant Microserver